Flat worms

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having issues with flat worms along with I don’t know what else, but it’s caused almost all my corals to die.
I’m at the point of removing everything from the tank doing a thorough cleaning and staring over.
I’m wondering if I can get away with keeping some of the rock that does still have coral alive on them? My thinking is to place those pieces into a dip then return to the tank after I’ve cleaned it, placed new sand, rock and began a new cycle, lastly I’ll return my fish to the aquarium.
Considering I only have a few corals left I’m wondering if it’s worth even trying to save them. I don’t want to end up introducing something back into the tank by placing rocks that might have something still left that’ll cause issues.
If I dip the rocks that have corals on them will the dip kill off any remaining flatworms or other things .
I’ve tried everything else already to rid my tank of the flatworms and it’s not working they always return

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dip whatever you want in any of the many solutions that are made to kill things, but nothing can kill flatworm eggs is the issue. So even dipped the rock will probably have eggs on it. A flatworm exit treatment is usually very effective in killing them have you tried that?

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been afraid to use the flatworm exit because of the toxins they say the worm release when dying, I don’t want to risk killing anything else I. My tank but it seems other then the fish I’ll lose everything anyway if I can’t transfer the surviving corals to a new tank without risking transferring flatworms and/or eggs
Will the exit or the toxins released harm my fish or inverts ?
You can dip whatever you want in any of the many solutions that are made to kill things, but nothing can kill flatworm eggs is the issue. So even dipped the rock will probably have eggs on it. A flatworm exit treatment is usually very effective in killing them have you tried that?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been afraid to use the flatworm exit because of the toxins they say the worm release when dying, I don’t want to risk killing anything else I. My tank but it seems other then the fish I’ll lose everything anyway if I can’t transfer the surviving corals to a new tank without risking transferring flatworms and/or eggs
Will the exit or the toxins released harm my fish or inverts ?
The flatworm toxins will harm everything. Thats why you have to siphon out the dead ones after an hour or so and run carbon afterwards. But it is a tried and true treatment for flatworms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.3%
Back