Flatworm exit

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody

So I had a flatworm outbreak in my tank. The sand was covered with flatworms so I decided to get Salifert Flatworm Exit. I followed the directions and dosed it accordingly. That was yesterday. Today I wake up and all my corals and rock anemones are shriveled up and not extended. What should I do?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody

So I had a flatworm outbreak in my tank. The sand was covered with flatworms so I decided to get Salifert Flatworm Exit. I followed the directions and dosed it accordingly. That was yesterday. Today I wake up and all my corals and rock anemones are shriveled up and not extended. What should I do?
Run carbon and do a water change (as large as you can). When flatworms die, they release toxins (like bad enough to nuke your tank), I’m pretty sure the directions are to run carbon as soon as you see flatworms dying. Let us know what happens.

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon and do a water change (as large as you can). When flatworms die, they release toxins (like bad enough to nuke your tank), I’m pretty sure the directions are to run carbon as soon as you see flatworms dying. Let us know what happens.
Ok will do…gonna run carbon and do a 20 gallon water change on a Red Sea 250

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 20 gallon water change…and put 2 bags of carbon …just watching it now…hopefully everything gets better

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes like said before, Big water change and run a lot of carbon for a few weeks. Dead flatworms release toxins that will kill your coral and possibly fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everybody

No carbon
Do water change and siphon well
It’s likely toxins from the dead flatworms
You must siphon daily to remove dead ones
You can add chemipure blue or elite to remove toxins

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon
Do you think I should do another water change? I did two separate 20 gallon water change which is 40 gallons on a Red Sea 250

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon
Why no carbon? Chemipure blue and elite both contain carbon, mixed with a purigen-like polymer and GFO, respectively.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why no carbon? Chemipure blue and elite both contain carbon, mixed with a purigen-like polymer and GFO, respectively.
You answered your own question. Carbon is not enough, The Polymers and gfo is what will remove toxins and lock nitrate is it rises

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think I should do another water change? I did two separate 20 gallon water change which is 40 gallons on a Red Sea 250
15 - 20% should be sufficient

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered your own question. Carbon is not enough, The Polymers and gfo is what will remove toxins and lock nitrate is it rises
Neither of these ‘lock nitrates’, the polymers (basically purigen) in CP Blue will remove dissolved organics (which can break down into nitrates), but it’s not an effective means of nutrient export. The GFO in CP Elite will strip out phosphates, but you have to monitor it (don’t want to bottom out). I think in this case, if the OP had carbon laying around, it absolutely would help remove the toxins, not everyone has those on hand or can get them immediately. I respect your experience and opinion, but it seems like bad advice to recommend against carbon in this situation. The better advice would be to run carbon or better yet CP Blue/Elite if you have them or can get them immediately.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed what is gfo going to do for him ? As long as you siphoned out the flatworms did a big water change, and run carbon there isnt much else you can do . Keep an eye on it everything should bounce back in a day or two

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that it helps this time around, but spend a solid effort vacuuming out, multiple times if necessary, what you can before you apply exit if you should have to go down this road again.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will do…gonna run carbon and do a 20 gallon water change on a Red Sea 250
what is that a 50g tank? 2x 20g water changes is the same as 1 x 32g water change (64%) if your tank is 50g so that's pretty good. If I am mistaken and your tank is quite a bit larger than 50g, then the 20g changes might not have been sufficient.

Just my personal preference but when I have a problem with my water I like to change all my water. No messing around with small % water changes. Many examples of people doing near 100% water changes with no ill effects if done correctly. I seem to do it once every few years when moving the tank around or just giving a good deep clean.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is that a 50g tank? 2x 20g water changes is the same as 1 x 32g water change (64%) if your tank is 50g so that's pretty good. If I am mistaken and your tank is quite a bit larger than 50g, then the 20g changes might not have been sufficient.

Just my personal preference but when I have a problem with my water I like to change all my water. No messing around with small % water changes. Many examples of people doing near 100% water changes with no ill effects if done correctly. I seem to do it once every few years when moving the tank around or just giving a good deep clean.
Yes and no. In theory 2x20gal equals 40g not 32gal.
But then you have to take into account dilution. 20g out of 50g is about 3/8 of the full 50g ith theres no rock/sand with all that its probably 50% so that means the second water change is only 25% of the old water and 25% of the new water at best.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Neither of these ‘lock nitrates’, the polymers (basically purigen) in CP Blue will remove dissolved organics (which can break down into nitrates), but it’s not an effective means of nutrient export. The GFO in CP Elite will strip out phosphates, but you have to monitor it (don’t want to bottom out). I think in this case, if the OP had carbon laying around, it absolutely would help remove the toxins, not everyone has those on hand or can get them immediately. I respect your experience and opinion, but it seems like bad advice to recommend against carbon in this situation. The better advice would be to run carbon or better yet CP Blue/Elite if you have them or can get them immediately.
Chemipure WAS recommended. Activated carbon can also remove the trace elements and minerals that are important to your fish, invertebrates, and corals. Studies have found that the heavy use of activated carbon in marine aquariums can cause Head & Lateral Line Erosion disease (most often seen on fish in the Surgeonfish Family) and main concern using carbon in a saltwater system is that carbon often leaches phosphate into the reef tank whereas Chemipure will keep it in check

Back