Flatworm exit

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure WAS recommended. Activated carbon can also remove the trace elements and minerals that are important to your fish, invertebrates, and corals. Studies have found that the heavy use of activated carbon in marine aquariums can cause Head & Lateral Line Erosion disease (most often seen on fish in the Surgeonfish Family) and main concern using carbon in a saltwater system is that carbon often leaches phosphate into the reef tank whereas Chemipure will keep it in check
Right, but in this situation, none of those concerns really matter, he’s not running carbon indefinitely, he’s running it short term to remove toxins. In this context, he had carbon on hand, and you said not to use it, should he really have not used it and waited until he could get Chemipure while his tank was dying so as to avoid stripping trace elements, HLLE, and leaching phosphates? I normally wouldn’t make such a big deal about someone’s advice but in this case, if he took your advice, it could’ve been the difference between a living tank and a dead tank.

And again, I really do respect your opinion and experience, but there are a lot contradictions here. So, activated carbon causes all these issues and is bad, but Chemipure, which is mostly activated carbon, doesn’t cause all these issues and is good? Chemipure Elite will control phosphates, Blue will not, but neither (including activated carbon) will leach phosphates if changed regularly. But again, in this situation, none of that is relevant, as he was running it short term to remove toxins.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right, but in this situation, none of those concerns really matter, he’s not running carbon indefinitely, he’s running it short term to remove toxins. In this context, he had carbon on hand, and you said not to use it, should he really have not used it and waited until he could get Chemipure while his tank was dying so as to avoid stripping trace elements, HLLE, and leaching phosphates? I normally wouldn’t make such a big deal about someone’s advice but in this case, if he took your advice, it could’ve been the difference between a living tank and a dead tank.

And again, I really do respect your opinion and experience, but there are a lot contradictions here. So, activated carbon causes all these issues and is bad, but Chemipure, which is mostly activated carbon, doesn’t cause all these issues and is good? Chemipure Elite will control phosphates, Blue will not, but neither (including activated carbon) will leach phosphates if changed regularly. But again, in this situation, none of that is relevant, as he was running it short term to remove toxins.
The intention, not to run long term

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to run the carbon and do the 2x 20 gallon water change. Everything is looking better the fish are coming out and the coral look better. Still not 100% but everything is looking better I would say I'm at 65-70%. Almost there. Gonna do another water change during the weekend hopefully that will bring me back to 100%.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemipure WAS recommended. Activated carbon can also remove the trace elements and minerals that are important to your fish, invertebrates, and corals. Studies have found that the heavy use of activated carbon in marine aquariums can cause Head & Lateral Line Erosion disease (most often seen on fish in the Surgeonfish Family) and main concern using carbon in a saltwater system is that carbon often leaches phosphate into the reef tank whereas Chemipure will keep it in check
BRS has said a few times the reason that some people believe that carbon releases phosphate came from an experiment where they had a tablespoon of carbon in one cup of water which he said to replicate in a large fish tank you would have to have something like 16 gallons of carbon.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. In theory 2x20gal equals 40g not 32gal.
But then you have to take into account dilution. 20g out of 50g is about 3/8 of the full 50g ith theres no rock/sand with all that its probably 50% so that means the second water change is only 25% of the old water and 25% of the new water at best.
Lol what? 20g out of 50g is exactly 40%. It’s 4/10 or 2/5 since you like fractions. It’s not 3/8 which is 37.5%.

after the first 20g water change you are left with 30g of old water which makes up 60% or 3/5 of the old water for the fraction aficionados here.
Now with the second change you are taking out 40% or 2/5 of the original 30g or 3/5 old water that is left.
multiply 30g by 40% (2/5) and you are changing out another 12g of the original water.
you have now removed 20g and then 12g of the original water which is where the 32 from my original post comes from.
You are left with 18g of the original water which is exactly 36% of the 50g you started with. So you have changed out 64% of the old water…. as originally stated.

back to back 20g water changes is exactly like one 32g water change on 50g of water.

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my tangs seems to have a piece of his fin missing. Could this be the Head & Lateral Line Erosion disease you mentioned. Should i stop running the carbon ? they're in the sump. I have 3 bags. Been running it for 3 days. What do you think?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of my tangs seems to have a piece of his fin missing. Could this be the Head & Lateral Line Erosion disease you mentioned. Should i stop running the carbon ? they're in the sump. I have 3 bags. Been running it for 3 days. What do you think?
Would affect facial area!, not fins. Likely from aggression
Post a pic under white lights if you can

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• B93E5C47-F686-4059-9E2D-429FD8DE5DAC.jpeg
    B93E5C47-F686-4059-9E2D-429FD8DE5DAC.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 1BCC510E-5DBE-4303-B47D-4AEE7D1AF50F.png
    1BCC510E-5DBE-4303-B47D-4AEE7D1AF50F.png
    903.7 KB · Views: 36

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That may be a fin and tail rot condition which is bacterial
Assure you are providing both good diet and water quality
If it worsens, maracyn 2 for treatment in quarantine

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may be a fun and tail rot condition which is bacterial
Assure you are providing both good diet and water quality
If it worsens, maracyn 2 for treatment in quarantine
Ok....Thanks...thinking about doing another water change today.. hopefully that helps

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back