Flatworm ID please

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Need some help with an ID on this guy, and if it's a big deal he's their. If so, best action to take? Thanks!

20201215_191629.jpg 20201215_193710.jpg

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional photo

Attachments

• 20201215_193710.jpg
    20201215_193710.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 35

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what I've always called an "acoel" flatworm. I think that's sort of a catch-all term but I've had them and successfully treated for them with Flatwom Exit. They don't seem to be a type that damages corals nor are they the red planaria that can get out of control fast and smother corals.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like what I've always called an "acoel" flatworm. I think that's sort of a catch-all term but I've had them and successfully treated for them with Flatwom Exit. They don't seem to be a type that damages corals nor are they the red planaria that can get out of control fast and smother corals.
Ok thank you! Was hoping they weren't too serious lol. I have siphoned around 12 off my back wall of the aquarius so far, should be a good start to cut them down a bit for now

Not seeing any on my corals, except a hairy mush. I think my emerald crab went in their last night and stirred them up. Its glued to the back wall as well, so I think they fled for new cover lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Polyclad flatworm. Although these are not considered coral killers, they can cause havoc by smothering the base of coral thereby blocking light fr coral's food source and emmiting toxins.
If a sole worm, remove manually with a siphon or net. If multiple, siphon as many as you can and add a lunare or melanurus wrasse. They will eat them.
You can go the chemical route and treat with salifert flatworm exit. Although effective, you MUST siphon daily to remove dead FW which can release toxins.
Finally- inspect reef daily for signs of eggs which are tiny

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are yours? The one's I'm thinking of are really small. I've always thought polyclads were on the larger size but I could be wrong.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are yours? The one's I'm thinking of are really small. I've always thought polyclads were on the larger size but I could be wrong.
Not huge, when sitting still they kinda compress in circles. They can move pretty darn fast though when disturbed. Very smooth looking as well, almost glassy

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at your pictures and I think Vetteguy is onto something. The one's I've dealt with look really close but they always had a little "U" shape on one end. They would move around of course but when they were just stuck to the glass, you could see a little "U" most of the time. I had to take a magnifier to really see it but it was there.

I can tell you that the most effective natural treatment I've come across for them is the Sapphire Damsel, sometimes called the Springer's Damsel. Several different wrasse species will eat them as well but I finally got them under control with a Sapphire Damsel. I ended up liking them so much, I have them in every tank. They're beautiful and much more chill than any damsel I've ever had.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep looking at your pictures and I think Vetteguy is onto something. The one's I've dealt with look really close but they always had a little "U" shape on one end. They would move around of course but when they were just stuck to the glass, you could see a little "U" most of the time. I had to take a magnifier to really see it but it was there.

I can tell you that the most effective natural treatment I've come across for them is the Sapphire Damsel, sometimes called the Springer's Damsel. Several different wrasse species will eat them as well but I finally got them under control with a Sapphire Damsel. I ended up liking them so much, I have them in every tank. They're beautiful and much more chill than any damsel I've ever had.

OP
OP
C

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lovee to get a fish to deal with it, but its only a 10 gal nano. Think I'm stuck with manual removal, or chemical unfortunately

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back