Flatworm ID?

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I walked by the tank this morning was checking out my fish when this little spot on the glass caught my eye... After staring at it for a moment I realized it was moving. It's definitely a flatworm, but I have no idea what kind. I physically removed it from the tank after taking a picture. I added new fish and one new piece of coral to the tank recently. I'm guessing that is where this came from as aside from that nothing new has been added to the tank you for about a year.
Can anyone ID this for me? Even if I'm only seeing one I guess it's safe to assume that there could be more. I think I have some flatworm exit laying around. If I have very low numbers of flatworms do I really have to worry about the toxin that they produce?
Thanks

PXL_20210925_130948698.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it appears to be a flatworm of one species or another. I would strongly suggest that you DO NOT jump straight to FWE for what is almost certainly NBD!!! If (when) you see others, use a simple tiny siphon made from a piece of silicone airline tubing attached to a length of rigid tubing. Suck them out as you find them.

Should they get out of control, I'd suggest that a natural predator is a much better option than FWE in any case. You don't mention tank size, but many of the wrasses love them. I used a pair of Blue Star Leopard wrasse in my 120DT to take care of them after several rounds of FWE were ineffective.

hth!

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a quick and sincere reply. I'm not familiar with NBD. What does that stand for?
I actually tried to add a wrasse within the last month. I actually have a post on it somewhere in here. It didn't go well and I'm hesitant to try again. It seemed to demonstrate neurological issues that manifested within a week. After talking to the local fish store they stated they've been having a lot of those issues with the wrasses they've been getting in. And won't even order more for some time until they feel more confident in doing so. Perhaps I'll try again in the future.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a quick and sincere reply. I'm not familiar with NBD. What does that stand for?
I actually tried to add a wrasse within the last month. I actually have a post on it somewhere in here. It didn't go well and I'm hesitant to try again. It seemed to demonstrate neurological issues that manifested within a week. After talking to the local fish store they stated they've been having a lot of those issues with the wrasses they've been getting in. And won't even order more for some time until they feel more confident in doing so. Perhaps I'll try again in the future.
NBD = No Big Deal. Don't stress over it any more than you have to!

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have both.
Check the bases of SPS for bite marks and the flesh of euphyllia for flatworms. This is best done at night but it'll tell you really quickly if you have those types and they can be vicious. IMO it could a very large acro eating FW or a smalllllll Euphyllia eating FW or(hopefully) one that doesn't do anything and looks scary

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back