Flatworm?

Xefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing this is a flatworm, is it a problem? It's a decent size and so seems to be bigger than all the descriptions of pest flatworms I've read so I'm hoping it's okay to ignore. I replaced my skimmer today and cleaned my sump up a bit, so I'm thinking it might have entered the display tank from the sump after I disturbed it.

Flatworm2.png

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing this is a flatworm, is it a problem? It's a decent size and so seems to be bigger than all the descriptions of pest flatworms I've read so I'm hoping it's okay to ignore. I replaced my skimmer today and cleaned my sump up a bit, so I'm thinking it might have entered the display tank from the sump after I disturbed it.

Flatworm2.png
Remove
Check coral
And if needed Dip and repeat by the looks of it
Not a friend

OP
OP
X

Xefan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annoyingly it got away and fell through the weir (but didn't fall apart or anything at least). Best case it gets stuck down in the sump and starves I suppose, worst case it gets minced up in the return pump and comes back in pieces which spread. I've looked both nights at all my softies when they've receded at lights out and I can't see any sign of anything on them at all. Reading about them I have had a few turbo snail shells turn up over the last couple of months but I'd assumed it was just old age or something, so I wonder if this particular type of polyclad I have is more interested in the snails, especially given it was up on the back of the tank rather than down by any of the euphyllia. I'll stay vigilant, but I think I'm also going to add in a Springeri Damsel as they apparently eat flatworms, and I've wanted a blue fish for a while anyway. I can't put anything like a six line wrasse in as I already have a fairy wrasse. No idea if the fairy eats them or not. I read mandarins can and I have a slightly fat mandarin so maybe that's why he's fat if he's been picking off what he can.

I'll dip the softies too anyway and see if anything comes off, though unsure what to dip, everyone seems to have different opinions on what dips do and don't work - I have Reef Primer, Coral RX, DipX, Cili Dip in the house already so hopefully one of these is suitable.

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annoyingly it got away and fell through the weir (but didn't fall apart or anything at least). Best case it gets stuck down in the sump and starves I suppose, worst case it gets minced up in the return pump and comes back in pieces which spread. I've looked both nights at all my softies when they've receded at lights out and I can't see any sign of anything on them at all. Reading about them I have had a few turbo snail shells turn up over the last couple of months but I'd assumed it was just old age or something, so I wonder if this particular type of polyclad I have is more interested in the snails, especially given it was up on the back of the tank rather than down by any of the euphyllia. I'll stay vigilant, but I think I'm also going to add in a Springeri Damsel as they apparently eat flatworms, and I've wanted a blue fish for a while anyway. I can't put anything like a six line wrasse in as I already have a fairy wrasse. No idea if the fairy eats them or not. I read mandarins can and I have a slightly fat mandarin so maybe that's why he's fat if he's been picking off what he can.

I'll dip the softies too anyway and see if anything comes off, though unsure what to dip, everyone seems to have different opinions on what dips do and don't work - I have Reef Primer, Coral RX, DipX, Cili Dip in the house already so hopefully one of these is suitable.
Good luck keep us posted how you go

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back