Flatworm-ish creature, with red core - needs ID

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see attached video. It slithers around, has like a forked 'tail', and seems to have a red/pinkish 'heart'. I don't know enough about marine animals to identify what it is. Any help would be appreciated, including with what to do with it.

Right now it has been caught and is in a jar of water outside the aquarium.

Attachments

• 20210306_121721.mp4
    12.1 MB

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an acoel flatworm- not predatory on corals or anything, rather on copepods- those clear ones usually will just die off or hide away without any real issues. Others are more of an issue.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an acoel flatworm- not predatory on corals or anything, rather on copepods- those clear ones usually will just die off or hide away without any real issues. Others are more of an issue.
Awesome, thanks for the ID. I read they could spread super quick and smother corals (so not directly predatory, but nonetheless annoying). I'll consider if I'd want to re-add it into the aquarium. At the end of the day most of my corals will be xenia and anthelia, so it should be fine. XD

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the ID. I read they could spread super quick and smother corals (so not directly predatory, but nonetheless annoying). I'll consider if I'd want to re-add it into the aquarium. At the end of the day most of my corals will be xenia and anthelia, so it should be fine. XD
The ones that do that are orange- I actually have some of those. They can go from rust brown to bright red and actually have symbiotic algae that they get some of their nutrition from- much like corals. I wouldn't put it back in per se, but I wouldn't be alarmed if you find any more.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones that do that are orange- I actually have some of those. They can go from rust brown to bright red and actually have symbiotic algae that they get some of their nutrition from- much like corals. I wouldn't put it back in per se, but I wouldn't be alarmed if you find any more.
Gotcha, thanks. :3

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back