Flatworms in my sump

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, starting to notice more flatworms in my sump on my 180. Tank is two months old, and not much coral in it yet. Wondering what I should do, either let them be, does FWE, or just get a Melanarus?
9C2582A9-A167-4D56-9D5E-763D297CD06D.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hazard a guess and say something is eating them in the display already.

I’ve noticed a lot fewer in my sump since I added a couple of crabs and a med sized brittle star.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve noticed a lot fewer in my sump since I added a couple of crabs and a med sized brittle star.

Hmm could be, I have nine fish in and none that I thought would be eating flatworms. Four wrasse, two flasher and two fairy maybe? That’s a good idea. Maybe I’ll throw a few cuc members down in my fuge. I kind of like natural method of clearing them out, and as long as they aren’t taking over my display I’ll kind of let it be...

braappn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/11/aafeature

Quote:
“I would like to end this article by stating that the negative view people have on flatworms is not entirely justified. These interesting animals are a natural part of the reef ecosystem, and serve as a food source for predatory fish and nudibranchs. It is even possible that flatworms secrete wastes that are absorbed by their coral host. If this were true, our view of the symbiosis between flatworms and corals would change yet again. When flatworm populations are kept in check, they can be an interesting addition to the aquarium.”

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/11/aafeature

Quote:
“I would like to end this article by stating that the negative view people have on flatworms is not entirely justified. These interesting animals are a natural part of the reef ecosystem, and serve as a food source for predatory fish and nudibranchs. It is even possible that flatworms secrete wastes that are absorbed by their coral host. If this were true, our view of the symbiosis between flatworms and corals would change yet again. When flatworm populations are kept in check, they can be an interesting addition to the aquarium.”
Yup.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the flatworms are loving life in my sump, starting to get a bit uneasy. Should I do something now?
830ABFAE-A16C-4837-B41C-014159E168B3.jpeg

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any cuc member I could add that would thin them out?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this?

I have a few snails in my fuge, never see flatworms there (I do see them in my DT once in a while). I don't know if there is a correlation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back