Flatworms on torch

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got in a couple torches today from an online vendor and they were covered in flatworms. One had visible clusters of eggs and the other did not. I dipped both in Revive for the full 15 minutes and blew the heck out of them with a turkey baster. Also scraped off the eggs with a small pair of sharp tweezers and a toothbrush. I don't have a quarantine tank so I put them in my display as far away from my other torches as I could. I called the vendor and he said all his torches are super healthy so whatever flatworms these are aren't negatively effecting the torches....

I plan to keep dipping them every 5-6 days in Revive and scrubbing the skeleton each time. Is all my eyphillia doomed?? Anything else I should do?

20230104_170158.jpg

20230104_170154.jpg

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a euphyllia eating flat worm to me as you can see half of the tissue is gone. It’s happened to me before and you’ve already done the first step in dipping and getting rid of eggs. Just keep dipping your euphyllia every few days and keep a close eye

nuke 208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are euphellia eating flat worms. I don't think dip will kill the eggs u will have to continue to dip them weekly over a month or so. They will harm the torches but in my experience not supper fast so u can kill them off before it kills the coral

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what a coincidence... I just found one of those on mine yesterday. Not sure what the vector was as I always dip in some combo of coral rx, peroxide or reef dip. Recently added a small zoa frag, fire cloves frag, and ricordias frag, and nothing came off those...

Let me say this: in a purple torch they blend in incredibly well. I thought mine was actually splitting mouths at first, but when the 'mouth' moved somewhere else overnight I knew something was up.

Also, my torch has shown zero signs of distress. I've had it a couple months and it's always looked great with good extension.

I did a coral rx dip and two flatworms let go. They are pretty big...

PXL_20230104_150204204.jpg PXL_20230105_185453835.MP.jpg PXL_20230105_191614963.jpg PXL_20230104_221043721.MP.jpg

Last edited:

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got in a couple torches today from an online vendor and they were covered in flatworms. One had visible clusters of eggs and the other did not. I dipped both in Revive for the full 15 minutes and blew the heck out of them with a turkey baster. Also scraped off the eggs with a small pair of sharp tweezers and a toothbrush. I don't have a quarantine tank so I put them in my display as far away from my other torches as I could. I called the vendor and he said all his torches are super healthy so whatever flatworms these are aren't negatively effecting the torches....

I plan to keep dipping them every 5-6 days in Revive and scrubbing the skeleton each time. Is all my eyphillia doomed?? Anything else I should do?

20230104_170158.jpg

20230104_170154.jpg
Firstly, that torch is Not Healthy. Look at the tissue recession... It's almost exposing skeleton at this point. There is no neck to speak of. I would be Heated if I received that torch with no pests.

Second, I agree those are EEFW. Who is the vendor? This is a completely acceptable response.. "they aren't doing any harm"

Yeah right!

Call that chop shop out and save others from wasting money on half dead coral With pests!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back