Flatworms

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this afternoon I was made aware of a problem with my wife's tank, thanks again @Dsnakes! Red Planaria worms. My lfs' has some flatworm exit in stock and plan to pick some up tomorrow. I have been reading up on the product and how to use it. Is says it's not harmful to fish and invertebrates but what about nems? Also, from what I have read so far I need to remove as many as I can before treatment because they become toxic when they die.

My 144 is cycled, should I try to remove her fish, acclimate and place in mine before I do this? If so would they be ok in my sump during this process because her fish are so small they would be very difficult to catch them out of mine when treatment is complete OR have you used the product and will the fish be ok?

I have my carbon ready, but it's in a bag and will be placed in the middle chamber of her 32 Biocube. Making fresh saltwater in the morning for a 25% water change after treatment.

Does anyone have any tips, recommendations, don't do's before the games begin? All advice and responses are greatly appreciated!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remove as many as possible. Flatworm exit won't kill the tank but the dead flatworms will. I suggest have enough water for 100% change.

If you could dip the rocks in separate water that would be ideal. Good luck.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove all you can manually and follow the directions and all will be fine. I had to use Flatworn Exit in the past and the tank did not skip a beat and never saw another red flatworm again. I have seen some in my fuge and will be treating soon.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres your Flatworm Exit:
12-line9.jpg

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove all you can manually and follow the directions and all will be fine. I had to use Flatworn Exit in the past and the tank did not skip a beat and never saw another red flatworm again. I have seen some in my fuge and will be treating soon.
Thanks! This is good know!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remove as many as possible. Flatworm exit won't kill the tank but the dead flatworms will. I suggest have enough water for 100% change.

If you could dip the rocks in separate water that would be ideal. Good luck.
Thanks for the response, turkey baster will get a workout!

OP
OP
hdsoftail1065

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you prime some airline tubing run that into a filter sock tou can suck them out all day very easily...and then id get a wrasse...
Thank you, looks like a wrasse is in our future. I will try the airline trick for sure! Several people recommend one so it must be a good addition to the tank.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this afternoon I was made aware of a problem with my wife's tank, thanks again @Dsnakes! Red Planaria worms. My lfs' has some flatworm exit in stock and plan to pick some up tomorrow. I have been reading up on the product and how to use it. Is says it's not harmful to fish and invertebrates but what about nems? Also, from what I have read so far I need to remove as many as I can before treatment because they become toxic when they die.

My 144 is cycled, should I try to remove her fish, acclimate and place in mine before I do this? If so would they be ok in my sump during this process because her fish are so small they would be very difficult to catch them out of mine when treatment is complete OR have you used the product and will the fish be ok?

I have my carbon ready, but it's in a bag and will be placed in the middle chamber of her 32 Biocube. Making fresh saltwater in the morning for a 25% water change after treatment.

Does anyone have any tips, recommendations, don't do's before the games begin? All advice and responses are greatly appreciated!

Can we see a pic? I’m curious because I have flatworms in both tanks and they do not bother anything at all. The fish eat them.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you prime some airline tubing run that into a filter sock tou can suck them out all day very easily...and then id get a wrasse...
That is a good way to do it.

I found this on Melev’s Reef.
F170087C-AA55-4C56-AB8D-4B5E0EA0616C.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back