Flex hose plumbing

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I secure the flex hose plumbing to the bulkhead; Is there a glue I should use, or a clamp? The instructions are horrible and I asked before but can't remember where. I have the aqueon mega flow drain/ hose kit with flex hose and bulkheads and I'm starting to put it together. It's interesting that there doesn't seem to be much info on this, I've been searching eveeywherw.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. No glues? I'm obviously hoping I don't fill this thing up and turning my condo into a really large aquarium and having an empty tank lol. I think Murphy's law came into being because of me hah

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, there is flexible tubing, that requires a barb to attach to other plumbing fixtures, and then there is flexible pipe (aka spa flex hose), which uses standard PVC fittings with the PVC cleaner/glue.

If it is flexible tubing you're talking about, as mentioned, using a barb, and then secure that tubing in place with either zip ties (I'd use at least two) or plastic clamps made for this application:

watermark

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the grey hose that came with the sump (eshopps) it has a solid plastic tip that fits inside the bulkhead. There is no way to clamp it.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you have is this:

p-32902-86190K-2.jpg

I am not familiar how folks set up their Eshopps sumps, but I personnally would NOT rely on friction fit alone. I believe the adaptor ends of the flexible hose are standard sizes. What I'd do is put a short piece of pipe (glued) out of the bulkhead, immediately attached to a union, with the other side of the union glued to this tubing.

Reefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

p-32902-86190K-2.jpg

I am not familiar how folks set up their Eshopps sumps, but I personnally would NOT rely on friction fit alone. I believe the adaptor ends of the flexible hose are standard sizes. What I'd do is put a short piece of pipe (glued) out of the bulkhead, immediately attached to a union, with the other side of the union glued to this tubing.
I like that idea! nice and solid... thats good advice

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

p-32902-86190K-2.jpg

That's exactly what I have!

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously considering pvc. Lol.

If you're comfortable working with PVC, I'd recommend doing that....cleaner look. I was just trying to work with what you had. My sump is all rigid PVC. Just install unions where you know you'll need to pull it apart for cleaning.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're comfortable working with PVC, I'd recommend doing that....cleaner look. I was just trying to work with what you had. My sump is all rigid PVC.

I truly appreciate it!! I never worked with pvc but I'm relatively capable at new things. I was going to use what I have, but if I'm really going to make this right, I think I may go ahead and go with pvc.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this tubing came with my sump, but I don't like it. I've decided to go with vinyl black tubing with nylon clamps. It is a PAIN finding connectors for the return pump, though...

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and although it's. it as neat looking, I want something I can move around and change if I want. Then I plan to upgrade in a year or so. That will give me some time to figure out what pieces I may want to add and how to really work with pvc

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm about to go crazy. I've tried every tube pipe flex hose spa airline and junction at Home Depot and loses, and nothing fits these. I'm seriously not an unintelligent guy, why is this so hard for me?? I know what goes where but cannot find anything to fit...
Image1483995259.208598.jpg

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot carries sticks of braided vinyl tubing that fits those. It's a tight fit. A hair dryer is useful to heat up the tube so it will slide on

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back