OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just left there and Lowes. There isn't a single piece that seems to fit either of them. It's driving me insane. Anyone in Ft Myers willing to come plumb this thing before i throw it out the door?
haha.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just left there and Lowes. There isn't a single piece that seems to fit either of them. It's driving me insane. Anyone in Ft Myers willing to come plumb this thing before i throw it out the door?
haha.

Throw out a quote. I'm serious. It shouldn't be this hard and it's really making me feel quite stupid. :(

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying the white adaptor ends are not standard pvc pipe sizes?

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are saying the white adaptor ends are not standard pvc pipe sizes?

I think I need to clarify all of my confusion maybe?

These stupid hoses that came with the sump. They're too long and flimsy, I don't want to use them. Regardless, the bulkheads that came with my tank, the Aqueon 90 gal w/ megaflow, are barbed. I can't figure out how to hook them to the hose. The hose is the same size as the end of the bulkhead, so I can't figure out how to union them together because it's not smooth pipe, unless i use a piece of vinyl tubing to do a short extension and blah blah.

So ultimately, I don't want to use those flex pipes that came with the sump.

Now, the two bulkheads are barbed for flexible hose, yet no flexible hose I can find will fit them. Even the Home Depot guy said he couldn't figure out what size I should go for.

If i went with PVC, how would I connect them to the bulkhead with the barbs?

If i go with Vinyl tubing, how do I hook tubing to the barbed bulkheads that dont fit?
At this point I'm thinking of taking a large funnel and letting it drop from the bulkhead to the tank (KIDDING)

Then for the return line, the output on the return is a threaded 1/2" ID (Danner Mag 7). I'd need like 4 different reducers to couple it to anything.

Thank god I'm not a plumber because I'd be really lost. Yet I can hook up a human being to about 14 different IV's at once and put in a chest tube..... grrrrr.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way - I have watched every video I can find, searched google, this forum, other forums. It seems like everyone uses PVC. I'd love to, but I just don't trust myself to not mess it up. And there's no one around to help me figure out the best way to do it.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the flex hoses bigger or smaller? I was thinking if you can not find anything fits perfectly, use the one a bit bigger. put the regular hose on over the barb, this will make it bigger then have the flex house on top of the that......The drain is easy. The return pump you need to make sure it is tighten enough!

So I'm about to go crazy. I've tried every tube pipe flex hose spa airline and junction at Home Depot and loses, and nothing fits these. I'm seriously not an unintelligent guy, why is this so hard for me?? I know what goes where but cannot find anything to fit...
Image1483995259.208598.jpg

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the flex hoses bigger or smaller? I was thinking if you can not find anything fits perfectly, use the one a bit bigger. put the regular hose on over the bar, this will make it bigger then have the flex house on top of the that......The drain is easy. The return pump you need to make sure it is tighten enough!

Yeah, I'm definitely more worried about my plumbing skills for the return. While I would like to experience this hobby and do it myself, I just can't seem to figure it out. On the threaded end of this pump (output), I can find an adapter that says it's a 1/2 female to 3/4 male. But then what? I now have a 3/4" PVC pipe that still doesn't fit anything. Ugh.

For the flex hoses- they're way too long. I need them about half size. I'm thinking about cutting it and just hooking it directly to the barbed part and then putting a clamp on it (although it would be a metal clamp).

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pump is this? 1/2 male for the output? Unless we are doing for a nano tank, most return pump I have seen has 3/4 or 1 inch output ....
On the threaded end of this pump (output), I can find an adapter that says it's a 1/2 female to 3/4 male. But then what? I now have a 3/4" PVC pipe that still doesn't fit anything. Ugh.

for the drain?
For the flex hoses- they're way too long. I need them about half size. I'm thinking about cutting it and just hooking it directly to the barbed part and then putting a clamp on it (although it would be a metal clamp).

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of pump is this? 1/2 male for the output? Unless we are doing for a nano tank, most return pump I have seen has 3/4 or 1 inch output ....

Danner Mag 7
  • Flow Rate: 700 GPH maximum flow with a 11.65` shut-off
  • Power Consumption: 60 Watts
  • Pump Size (L x W x H): 5.0" x 3.8" x 4.2"
  • Outlet Size / Inlet Size: 1/2" MPT / 1/2" FPT
  • 10` grounded power cord
  • These pumps can not be run externally
  • 5 year manufacturer`s Limited Warranty

for the drain?

Yeah, for the drain :)

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why not just use different bulkheads then? Unless they're a unique size you should be able to just put normal bulkheads with either slip or threaded connectors. Then you can use regular pvc pipe or tube.

The slip vs thread debate, however will go on for eons. It becomes personal preference at that point.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you guys are right. These tubes are definitely not what I wanted. I also wasn't too sure about using PVC, but I have to do this right.

Well so I measured my current pipes. One bulkhead says 3/4" and the pipe that goes in it is, low and behold, 3/4".
The other bulkhead says 1". The pipe that goes in it? 1 & 1/4". The pipe? 1 & 1/4" what the heck?

So I'm looking at BRS and thinking about ordering 2 bulkheads from them. Since I already have the drain pipes and return pipes that go inside the aquarium, the drain measuring 1 & 1/4 and the return measuring 3/4", should I just get those two sizes?

cale0721

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you guys are right. These tubes are definitely not what I wanted. I also wasn't too sure about using PVC, but I have to do this right.

Well so I measured my current pipes. One bulkhead says 3/4" and the pipe that goes in it is, low and behold, 3/4".
The other bulkhead says 1". The pipe that goes in it? 1 & 1/4". The pipe? 1 & 1/4" what the heck?

So I'm looking at BRS and thinking about ordering 2 bulkheads from them. Since I already have the drain pipes and return pipes that go inside the aquarium, the drain measuring 1 & 1/4 and the return measuring 3/4", should I just get those two sizes?

The 1 1/4 stand pipe should have a reduser at the bottom so that it fits into a 1 inch bulk head.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh dear god. So now I just learned that measurements in PVC are not the same as measuring the PVC..... Is this true? Could this be all of my problem?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am late to the party, in the end and instead of making due with what they had at the big box home improvement stores I found all of my fittings on Amazon and order the correct size and right type of hose from amazon hose link. I should have done this the first time around.

OP
OP
FishGuyBri

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am late to the party, in the end and instead of making due with what they had at the big box home improvement stores I found all of my fittings on Amazon and order the correct size and right type of hose from amazon hose link. I should have done this the first time around.

Thanks! I've been looking all through everything to try and figure this out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 140 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back