Flex mount instructions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was unable to find instructions on how to setup the mount. I think it would be a good idea to take a few pictures and give a quick rundown and post here for everyone wondering.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, mine arrived today without instructions. Looking at the picture, all of the pieces except the little 'clips' seemed pretty obvious. So thank you for posting this.

I need to drill the back my reefer cabinet and need to make sure I pick a spot that doesn't interfere with the plumbing.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny, mine arrived today without instructions. Looking at the picture, all of the pieces except the little 'clips' seemed pretty obvious. So thank you for posting this.

I need to drill the back my reefer cabinet and need to make sure I pick a spot that doesn't interfere with the plumbing.

Same. The clips confused the heck outta me but I think I got it.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed this today, some tips that might help the next person since I had to run to the hardware store multiple times.
  • All hardware is metric
  • You need to drill two holes (guessing 8mm), you need a 6mm allen wrench, you may need washers + spacers
  • On a Red Sea Reefer, the front and glass glass pane overhang the stand, so you need washers or spacers to push the mount away from the stand. Depending on your glass, this could be 1/2" or 5/8"
  • It's pretty self-explanatory from the picture. One end of the tall piece is threaded (that's the top). The little clips go inside the tall piece. If the clip goes one direction it moves upward easier than downward and vice-versa (it seems).
On a Reefer 170, it was impossible to mount the light directly in the middle since the emergency drain is in the way. I decided I could live with 1/4-1/2" offset rather than redo plumbing. It was a real tight fit between the two drains as you can see. They include a nice trim piece to hide the wiring.

It looks good.

IMG_20170701_140749.jpg

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • On a Red Sea Reefer, the front and glass glass pane overhang the stand, so you need washers or spacers to push the mount away from the stand. Depending on your glass, this could be 1/2" or 5/8"
Hmmn. I have a Reefer 450 - the front pane is floating, it lines up flat with the front of the doors, is not supposed on front. At least on the 450 this makes the back glass flush with the stand, and not overhang.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn. I have a Reefer 450 - the front pane is floating, it lines up flat with the front of the doors, is not supposed on front. At least on the 450 this makes the back glass flush with the stand, and not overhang.

On my 170, both the front and rear pane float off the glass equally. I was a bit surprised by this, having only see references to the front pane floating. Maybe it's unique to smaller models, most people who buy Mitras will have the larger reefers. I just googled this and it appears people are doing both with the 170/250. Either having both the front + back pane float, or align the back to the stand and have the front pane and part of the bottom overhang. Having the bottom entirely on the stand seemed safer to me than 10mm of the bottom overhanging the stand.

The rep at the Fauna Marin booth said an update to the flex mount that would allow you to rotate the light 90 degrees, so it would be in the same direction as if it was hanging. I assume that information is correct and if so, some day in the future, you'll post an update in the forums here.

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 170, both the front and rear pane float off the glass equally. I was a bit surprised by this, having only see references to the front pane floating. Maybe it's unique to smaller models, most people who buy Mitras will have the larger reefers. I just googled this and it appears people are doing both with the 170/250. Either having both the front + back pane float, or align the back to the stand and have the front pane and part of the bottom overhang. Having the bottom entirely on the stand seemed safer to me than 10mm of the bottom overhanging the stand.
That is interesting for sure - I had not heard of this, but I don't think I've seen a 170 in person. I appreciate your feedback on this. Sounds like 170/250 owners will have to use some washers/spacers to alleviate that, if they took the same approach of hanging the back over. Which I probably would've done as well.

The rep at the Fauna Marin booth said an update to the flex mount that would allow you to rotate the light 90 degrees, so it would be in the same direction as if it was hanging. I assume that information is correct and if so, some day in the future, you'll post an update in the forums here.
I'm assuming you spoke with @Vinny@GHLUSA or @Cristina@GHLUSA - That is correct, an update/second model is planned that will allow mounting of the light perpendicular to the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back