Flipper Algae scraper

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I never understood why, whats it do differently?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely great at its task.

What also makes it cool is guests always love playing with the dang scrapers so you can show em that little flip trick.

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have!

AEDB84D7-BF38-4E96-8739-874CBE6A5112.jpeg

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why? I never understood why, whats it do differently?

I’ve always used magfloats but gravel/sand/whatever always gets pinched between the scrub pad and the glass. One of my students put a nasty scratch in our 65 gallon cichlid tank.

The flipper is genius. When you do the neat flip trick, which the students are amazed by, the pad no longer rubs against the glass as you use the scraper. So when you scrape near the substrate there is zero chance of any getting caught and scratching the glass. If that reason alone is not enough to use one, support Flipper simply because they support aquariums in classrooms. They donated a regular and nano flipper and one of their DeepSee viewers to my classroom. My students love them and so do I.

Last edited:

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always used magfloats but gravel/sand/whatever always gets pinched between the scrub pad and the glass. One of my students put a nasty scratch in our 65 gallon cichlid tank.

The flipper is genius. When you do the neat flip trick, which the students are amazed by, the pad no longer rubs against the glass as you use the scraper. So when you scrape near the substrate there is zero chance of any getting caught and scratching the glass. If that reason alone is not enough to use one, support Flipper simply because they support aquariums in classrooms. They donated a regular and nano flipper and one of their DeepSee viewers to my classroom. My students love them and so do I.
I feel better about paying for mine now. They aren’t cheap!

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the flipper trick is cool :) , the scraper side makes it worth its' money. I do the whole tank with the pad side, flip it, then get anything that was missed. It is strong enough to scrape coralline which is nice.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can be hard to justify the cost since it is just an algae scraper....but you won't regret it lol.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back