Flipper blades scratching glass?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saw this thread... I have noticed loads of very fine internal glass scratches from my flipper. I'm super careful to check for sand if I use the pad side so I think it's the blade side. Very frustrating! Any way to get these small scratches out without draining the tank etc? I'm envisioning some sort of magnetic buffer on the inside spun by a powerdrill w a magnetic bit on the outside... anyone? Does buffing out scratches weaken the glass?
Yeah, it definately leaves scratches. You might not even notice them until algae grows within the scratch. I am not sure if they are happening with it is being flipped or when the blade size is being used but I would stop using immediately. I kept my glass scratch free for years until I started using it.....and I used multiple other magnets over the years. Back to the magic eraser!

These are my exact experiences. Bare-bottom tank. It was definitely blade side, I never used pad side.

BarSnackz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the blade side a lot on my last tank to clear coralline, but this new tank I have been using the pad side a couple times a day clean film algae during the new tank uglies. I have yet to get a scratch from my flipper.... fingers crossed that I didn't just Jinx myself.

Kealoha Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, first post, from New Zealand, been following for a while, thought I would weigh in on this, coming from the glass industry past 20 plus years. It’s curious, purchased good quality second hand tank, thoroughly inspected before purchase, few minor scratches, nothing serious. purchased flipper max and cleaned regularly with blade side for 12 months before upgrading tank, drained tank and on sold, noticed marks all over glass, I strongly believe as they were always equally spaced and the blade was flawless that the marks, that would not come off were actually caused by the two nylon ‘nubs’ on the flipper and not the blade. I would not dare use it on our new peninsula, will instead be purchasing the tunze

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the flipper max and change out blades and I have about 4 scratches on my new reefer 650 peninsula of 9 months. I believe the problem comes from the hard baby snails and spirobid worms that cover the aquarium. Not sure what tool to use to prevent scratches when scraping off the calcification, algae, calcius worms and the like. Extremely disappointed. Most people who use magnet scrappers seem to get scratches. I think the flipper being covered in spirobid worms and on the nubs also contribute to scratching.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the flipper max and change out blades and I have about 4 scratches on my new reefer 650 peninsula of 9 months. I believe the problem comes from the hard baby snails and spirobid worms that cover the aquarium. Not sure what tool to use to prevent scratches when scraping off the calcification, algae, calcius worms and the like. Extremely disappointed. Most people who use magnet scrappers seem to get scratches. I think the flipper being covered in spirobid worms and on the nubs also contribute to scratching.
I know how you feel after experiencing the same thing no matter how careful I was. I switched to the Tunze Care magnet. Nothing touches the glass except the blades and I only use the plastic blades regularly and only use the metal one for tough spots. I’ll never use anything else especially the flipper. I’d switch to something else to prevent any new scratches.

nautis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience with the Flipper on a Reef Octopus tank. My tank is very scratched up. Flipper should probably include a warning about how easy it is to scratch an aquarium and how best to avoid it. :mad:

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From posting this to now I’ve switched tanks and stopped using metal scrapers entirely.

My current tanks are glass and I’ve been using a Tunze scraper. No scratches yet, even with sand. I also believe I have one of the stronger magnets rated for beyond my glass thickness.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I noticed it scratching my new RS Reefer 450, I threw it away and got the Tunze Long. No new noticeable scratches in 3 years. I think it’s too close to the glass so it’s easy for little snails and sand grains to get stuck.

The tunze sits off that glass enough to where nothing really gets trapped too much.

vcamp4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have this happen to them?

I've exclusively used the flipper blade side for months now and I've noticed faint scratches on the glass. I don't have black sand, and I've never noticed any magnetic particles with my sand. I also do not seem to have any encrusting worms or such on the blade, and it seems in fine shape with no jags or deformations. I've never actually used the padded side.

I mostly scrap film so I'm thinking of moving to plastic scrapers and away from blades entirely, any good recommendations there?
I’m having the same problem right now I have thousands of faint scratches from my flipper on a RS 425xl it’s not a max either. In this picture you can see them the best but they’re all over the tank and I’ve had my flipper for a year with no problems

Attachments

• 5C261260-51C1-4109-9E5D-6AC667E3F23A.jpeg
    5C261260-51C1-4109-9E5D-6AC667E3F23A.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 31

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand how this happens to people. My tank doesn't have any scratches from my magnet cleaners.
I’m having the same problem right now I have thousands of faint scratches from my flipper on a RS 425xl it’s not a max either. In this picture you can see them the best but they’re all over the tank and I’ve had my flipper for a year with no problems
Are you sure those are scratches? Have you tried a razer blade over those?

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wanting to add another update since this thread was revived..

I am personally still using a tunze cleaner, plastic blades only, and it manages to keep coralline off my glass no problem, scratch free. Highly recommended to anyone having these issues.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using flipper for a few years along with other brands and even razor blades in a holder. I have never scratched glass using a metal blade. Only time I have scratched glass is when sand or some type of debris is between the pad and glass.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back