Flipper vs Algae Free

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I buy a cheap Magfloat scraper for my tanks, however I want to get a nicer one this time around.

Algae Free vs Flipper... Aside from looks, Is there any advantage to one over the other?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, on my last tank I started with the flipper on my 90, it was a cool concept, but the magnet just wasn’t strong enough and I’d have to go over the same spot over and over. Changed to the algae free and loved it. With my new tank, I needed one and spend the money on the algae free again. Expensive as heck, but the magnet is nice and strong and cleans great. The new scraper design is a nice touch too.

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, on my last tank I started with the flipper on my 90, it was a cool concept, but the magnet just wasn’t strong enough and I’d have to go over the same spot over and over. Changed to the algae free and loved it. With my new tank, I needed one and spend the money on the algae free again. Expensive as heck, but the magnet is nice and strong and cleans great. The new scraper design is a nice touch too.
yeah im leaning toward the AF, thanks!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're both good scrapers but the Flipper is known for weak magnets. That's why some folks at BRS have "hybrid" them using Algae Free Outside magnet with flipper.

Sandersonville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Algae Free Piranha on my Red Sea XL 525 and love it! I’ll never buy another type ever again. Great customer service too!
Specs say the Piranha is for glass 1/4 to 3/8 thick and to go up two models to the Tiger Shark for glass 5/8 to 3/4 thick.

I also have a 525 and the glass is 5/8 thick. Any concern or need for stronger magnets using the Piranha on 5/8? How do you think the Tiger Shark might perform with what I assume would be much stronger magnets? Cost is almost twice that the Piranha.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AF is a quality magnet cleaner but I wish they had better blade design. Barely scrapes.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually I buy a cheap Magfloat scraper for my tanks, however I want to get a nicer one this time around.

Algae Free vs Flipper... Aside from looks, Is there any advantage to one over the other?
Did you decide on a magnet?

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze care magnet could also be an option.

I never use the pad side of my flipper, too afraid of scratches.
Ahh I didnt know they even made one. Ive had some Tunze skimmers and filters in the past, the magnets they use are ridiculously strong!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back