float valves in series

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly reef related, but knowledge transfers...

I would like to hook up a top off to my turtle tank sump so that I don't have to worry about it at all. Here's the thing - I don't want a relay or an actual top off system. Since it's a turtle tank, I want to be able to keep it topped off with fresh water from my home without any other items.

So, here's the question - how do I get a normal RO line (e.g.) to run to my turtle tank (that part is easy) and then have 2 float valves (one as low level "on" and the other as the upper level "off") without any other equipment??? Is this even possible?

PrisonCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably run it the same way most people run their Saltwater top-offs. Have a large reservoir that you manually fill up once a week or whatever and then have the float switches hooked up to a pump of some sort that pumps it into the main tank.

OP
OP
MSU Fan

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that I can do that, the problem is space and want. I don't have any room under the turt tanks to fit a reservoir. And since salinity isn't really a concern here, I would just as soon top it off with regular pipe water and go about my day.

Not to mention that I would have to buy the topoff and pump (ok, i have this) and set it up, and then STILL have to refill it every so often.

OP
OP
MSU Fan

MSU Fan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm...I don't know a whole lot about the anatomy of a toilet. i'll have to check on that.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back