Reservoir float on/off valve

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cade S2 1200, behind the back wall along side the overflow is the ATO reservoir, it holds 11 gallons and the float for adding this to the system water is in the return chamber of the sump. To simplify my life I ran water line from my RODI unit to the section of the tank. I put a ball valve on the line just after it comes off the RODI unit.
I’d like to install a float valve in the reservoir that will stop the RO water from dispensing from the RODI unit. From empty to almost full it takes around 6 hours to fill.
There has been more then once Iv almost forgot to turn it off, the RODI unit is in a different room so there is no audible reminder it’s running. I have set alarms on my phone to turn off, which works….. if I remember to set an alarm. Luckily disaster has not happened, and I want to keep it that way.
I do not intend on relying on the float to continuously add water as it’s used by leaving the valve on. This is solely for a reliable shut off at a certain point within the reservoir incase the water is to remain running for too long.
My installation of the line to the tank has been a very DIY feature to work smarter, not harder. But there’s potential for a major problem. Maybe somebody has an alternative to a float switch.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just put a mechanical float in the reservoir that closes the water line (into the reservoir) to build up pressure and an auto shut off valve (ASOV) on your RO/DI unit?
...or did I miss something?

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t sound like you missed anything. To be honest I didn’t know of different type of avaliable shut off valves that I can utilize. The way I saw it in my head was essentially the same as the inner workings in the water reservoir on the back of a toilet…. Water fills up, float rises to a point and shuts off the water. Which is exactly what I’d like to do. And that’s where I mentioned I don’t have any intension of leaving the ball valve from the RODI unit open, it would just be an added safety barrier…. Unless there is some proven reliability enough that you put full trust in that valve to operate without a hitch 24/7

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just put a mechanical float in the reservoir that closes the water line (into the reservoir) to build up pressure and an auto shut off valve (ASOV) on your RO/DI unit?
...or did I miss something?
I looked this up. This is exactly all I need. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back