Floating Aquascape Questions

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do these guys do it? Is it an acrylic shelf of some kind. I don't want to bond any materials to my glass, but am very interested in creating a floating island on my next build.
mr-kang-reef-aquarium_zps00fd36f0.jpg
Reuven-Tal-Israel-Reef-2-620x413.jpg

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic threaded rod and bolts are used after drilling through the live rock.

You can sometimes get it at craft stores like Michaels

Also lots of reef epoxy.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand how acrylic rod and holes and epoxy Works to make towers and structures and such. But I'm wondering how you get the floating look.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnets, maybe. Space them even around the back and sides and let a shelf rest on them.. of corse silicone.. I'm just talking, I really don't know what you want to do anyways.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have magnetic shelves and they're all right. I'm trying to do something supported from the base of the aquarium

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would most likely have to be molded. Like on tanked, they make stuff all the time. I wonder if utube has how to's on that.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have magnetic shelves and they're all right. I'm trying to do something supported from the base of the aquarium
I'm thinking you could probably take a clear acrylic rod and bond it to a large acrylic panel that would sit under your substrate. Attach your rock structure to the top of the rod. When filled with water I would guess that the rod would be nearly invisible.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good topic @john.m.cole3 My next tank I would like to do a floating island. I have seen a couple examples.

On using glass shelves which to me would be great to view but would take up allot of tank space and cleaning would be a bear

I have also seen were the shelf is glued to the back of the tank.

I think what I would do is make a clear acrylic triangle and have three clear rods anchored down to a base of acrylic then add the sub-straight. the bond the rock to the triangle and go up from there
Floating Reef Shelf idea.png

Dashiki

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all about balance. Along with the rods you need heavy base rock. The denser the better. It has nothing to do with magnets.

Using pukani style rock for the shelf look because it is a lighter stone.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Few magnetic shelves
20160831_203956.jpg

The first two photos don't even look like they were grown that way - they look like those corals were just placed (a kind of fake IMO) - so I would be very hesitant in trying to model them.

The coral levitating in the picture in this post is easy to do. That is a plating Montipora – they grow like that naturally.

I have considered growing this coral on the base of a tank to then plant other corals in. I probably will do this someday, but I have never been a fan of using dowels and plastic parts to make a structure. (It's not a religious issue though so if you think that's the best way, do it. ;))

You mentioned magnetic shelves – I don't know if you meant the wimpy one in this picture.

I wouldn't bother with magnetic shelves unless you do a heavy duty one such as those that Tunze makes. They have a few models.

OP
OP
john.m.cole3

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture with the wimpy magnetic shelf is my tank. I'm trying to get ideas to float my scape in my display refugium that I'm setting up.

Hesham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another approach by using rigid supports that span the width of the tank and sit over the top of the tank frame. The rock structure is then tie-wrapped or hung with nylon line to the rigid structure that sits over the tank. The rock structure is then "levitated". A benefit of this approach is that the levitated structure can be removed from the tank if required.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back