Flood guard for my RODI reservior system

hasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon,
I just completed my mock up of my new reservoir system and I have a questions. I have attached the photo for reference. I am using the RODI Flood Guardian and have a question about where to place it. All along in my head when creating this system, I was planning and do have it now that the RoDi solenoid is on the clean output RODI water into the barrel. Once it reaches the level it stops. But actually looking at it, it might stop the out flow of RODI but does not stop the in-flow of the water filter so will be continuously wasting water if RoDi water is not needed and the solenoid is off. Can I connect the solenoid to the "RED" hose which is the main water line into the RoDI Filter? Thinking if I shut it off there, the solenoid will switch and stop the water all together. My concern is, that will it be too much pressure on the solenoid to hold back the water, I think I am about 50psi?
Thanks in advance,
Hoawrd

Resovior RODI.jpg

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You thinking is correct, the solenoid needs to be connected in front of the RODI in the supply line. If you use it in the output line the system will never turn off and continuously produce waste water and deplete your filters. Assuming this is a normal water soleniod they are designed for normal water pressure so 50 PSI is not going to cause it an issue.

I have my RODI fill setup like this. I use two soleniods, one for the input supply and one off a tee between the RO and DI to allow a 2 minute flush cycle when it first starts up. I also use a auto shutoff valve (ASOV) in the overall setup for redundancy - e.g. if the inlet solenoid fails open and the RODI overfills the ASOV will shut down inlet supply and the system.

OP
OP
H

hasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tastee,
Thank you for responding. How do you place the sensor for the solenoid between the RO and DI to allow the 2 minute flush cycle. Also what ASOV are you using?
Thanks
h-

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tastee,
Thank you for responding. How do you place the sensor for the solenoid between the RO and DI to allow the 2 minute flush cycle. Also what ASOV are you using?
Thanks
h-
My system is controlled by a Neptune Apex and I am using their solenoids and optical switches. My RODI is an Aquatic Life 4 stage unit and I use the Aquatic Life ASOV. All of the pressure sensitive ASOVs I have seen appear to work exactly the same way.

The first solenoid (Fill) sits in front of the inlet supply that goes into the ASOV. The second solenoid (Flush) sits just off a tee between the RO and DI cartridge. I dismounted the DI cartridge and shifted it to the right so I had sufficient space between them for the Tee. The output from the Flush solenoid goes to the waste line.

I have a low level and a high level optical sensor in my RODI reservoir. These sensors are closed when covered by water and open when they are out of water. The high level sensor is just below the float valve from the ASOV. When the low level sensor is open the Apex opens the Fill solenoid and keeps it open until the high level sensor is closed.

As soon as the Fill solenoid opens the Flush solenoid also opens and I use a virtual outlet as a timer to keep it open for 2 mins. After that the Flush solenoid closes to stop the flush cycle.

Let me know if you would like a schematic and/or the Apex code I use. Here is a photo.

37AAF408-950A-4413-AFE5-1E642FD72205.jpeg

OP
OP
H

hasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks great, thanks for the info and picture. At the moment, I do not have the Neptune controller, but trying to build towards it slowly by buying compatible components going forward. I think I have to just pull the trigger on it. thanks again for the info.

Back