Floor support: Add joists or new beam and post? 200 gallon

reynaldoramon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the ones I've looked at say "for temporary use only". Is that true? do they lose their integrity over time? Should I just over look that?

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the ones I've looked at say "for temporary use only". Is that true? do they lose their integrity over time? Should I just over look that?
I see that too on all of these jacks. I’m just going to overlook it. It seems like lots of older homes use them perminately to suppliment foundations. I think you could use a jack, then build a column but I think for my purposes a Jack will end up being stronger than any column I build since I can adjust the amount of support.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most stable thing to do is to build a wall under your joists and perpendicular to your floor joists in the crawl space. Sister two 2x8s as the top joist. Use double 2x4s at each end of the wall with single 2x4 studs. For the bottom plate, use pressure treated 2x6 laid flat. This will support your tank and is more reliable than jacks

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I under thinking it when I think he’ll be fine since the far end is supported by the foundation wall and he is spanning 4-5 joists running perpendicular?

I had a 220 sitting one end on the main 14” lvl beam and spanning 3 joists at 24” centers and I ran it 3 years. I had less than 0.2” of deflection in the last joist. We get more than that in the living room with the kids bouncing around

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 floor jacks and a laminated beam made from a pair of 2x6 or 8's and 2 pieces of 3/4 ply of the same width sandwiched between them with screws and glue. It will be stiffer than any 4x4 could ever be. If it's just a dirt floor then footers if you really want to be sure. Set them and forget them.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The steel beams in my basement of my house are supported by jack posts, so they better not just be temporary!!!

OP
OP
T

The Coug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve now had this in place the since April of 2021 with our issue. It worked well and I’ve haven’t see any signs of floor sagging, cracks or bounce.

D87E18B4-BA38-42D2-A523-93A43A759512.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back