floor support needed for 90 gallon reef tank?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
848
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was telling a friend of mine I wanted a 90 gal and he said to check with the building maintenance people where I live to make sure floor will support it? Tank with stand is about 900 lbs... so Is everyone that is putting fish tanks on fist floor of a house for example supporting their floors?
 
It's extremely situational. Nobody can really tell you the correct answer without being trained to understand structural engineering.
 
It's extremely situational. Nobody can really tell you the correct answer without being trained to understand structural engineering.
I live in a apartment where the floors under my boards are cement. I think it is about 1-2 foot deep.
 
So do most people just put them in basement where floor is concrete?
 
I will say that from what I've read, building codes for apartments (ie concrete floors) are extremely forgiving.
 
I hired a structural engineer to support my floor in the crawl space under the house to support a 240g system. It weighs about 4000 lbs. Give or take.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new