Florescent Green Nepthea

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have not seen anyone here post pics of this beautiful leather. i know it is possibly extinct in the wild but i also know that it is in circulation. i personally have PLENTY so i am just wondering who else is enjoying this rare near extinct coral in their tank. if you have pics post em.

i will post pics of mine soon

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a little one.

Attachments

• Nephthea 2 in.jpg
    Nephthea 2 in.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 764
OP
OP
condor

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya now that they tried to reseed the reef with captive grown colonies and they did not take. take care of yours if you have some.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one! It's a beast! Maybe I can talk David into taking a pic and posting it! :D

OP
OP
condor

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one! It's a beast! Maybe I can talk David into taking a pic and posting it! :D
nice..... the more the reefier

maybe one day R2R members can help to reseed the reefs with this beautiful coral, and with luck it will take and thrive

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large colony of Palau Green Nepthea. It is nice, but I have to trim it regularly because it can get ginormous .. I've given a lot away locally.

OP
OP
condor

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large colony of Palau Green Nepthea. It is nice, but I have to trim it regularly because it can get ginormous .. I've given a lot away locally.
it does grow fast...and thats awesome that you share the wealth.
it is not all that hardy as is does noes not take well to swings of any kind(gets the black plague), probably why the tsunami wipped it out and all other species made a come back.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it does grow fast...and thats awesome that you share the wealth.
it is not all that hardy as is does noes not take well to swings of any kind(gets the black plague), probably why the tsunami wipped it out and all other species made a come back.

I believe the species was supposedly gone from the wild before the Tsunami.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way...makes you wonder why no one has tried to reintroduce it back into the wild?

jaypainter24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large colony of it. Got it about 4-5 yrs ago almost lost it several times during tank moves. A local reefer here in socal had a huge colony and shared with all the scmas members back in the day. Mine is now probualy about a 8"x10" piece. Customers drool over it about I don't dare cut it and stress it. I'll post a pic in the am when I get to the store.

ladyreefer1983

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont have a close up pic but found one...heres mine...it grows a bit fast on me...hope mine grows like a colony:D:)
DSC02397-1.jpg

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are we talking about true nephthea or sinularia? I have a very large colony of Palau green sinularia which is commonly mislabeled in the hobby as Palua nephthea, true nephthea is much rarer and still very few people have it.

Frags of my Palua sinularia.

P5250038_01.jpg

OP
OP
condor

condor

CORAL DR.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are we talking about true nephthea or sinularia? I have a very large colony of Palau green sinularia which is commonly mislabeled in the hobby as Palua nephthea, true nephthea is much rarer and still very few people have it.

Frags of my Palua sinularia.

P5250038_01.jpg
the pic posted by russelaqua is the nepthea im referring to. and it is possible that it may be sinularia
i have not had a chance to take new pics of mine yet but they are coming. this leather glows like it is radioactive

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have it as well, no recent pics, i have had it for about 5yrs now. only recently have i made any cuttings of it.

Midwest Frags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 really huge colonies of it! All in different tanks. A lot of customers that see it actually think that it is an SPS the way it glows until it starts moving LOL! Great coral, I have had no issues with cutting on it. Probably fragged it over 100 times no issues!

Matt

saltwaterfishes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2009-01-Corals%20%2821%29.JPG

It got too big for my 65g.....about 9"x7". Cut a small branch and start over. Colony went to a very nice reefer.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back