Leather coral - Sweepers???????

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not sure what they are called , but yes that's it...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can spread and regrow if not all removed ,but easy enough to eradicate
usually does no harm to coral

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what is called but @fishguy242 is right. It's not a vermetid snail, but Rather a member of the jellyfish family from my research. It's a jelly body with long stringers that look like fine hair but are reactive and segmented. The body of the thing is totally soft and jelly and sometimes colored pink or brown. I got these creatures in on TBS live rock and took a long time to figure out what it was and remove them all. I got many on hard surfaces like glass and acrylic and have many pictures about it. I can go digging and show you.

I didn't find that they hurt or bothered anything but I didn't have many Corals then, so they might?

Either way, is a creature of some sort, not leather stingers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCP_HobbyReefer

JCP_HobbyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what is called but @fishguy242 is right. It's not a vermetid snail, but Rather a member of the jellyfish family from my research. It's a jelly body with long stringers that look like fine hair but are reactive and segmented. The body of the thing is totally soft and jelly and sometimes colored pink or brown. I got these creatures in on TBS live rock and took a long time to figure out what it was and remove them all. I got many on hard surfaces like glass and acrylic and have many pictures on my thread about it. I can go digging and show you.

I didn't find that they hurt or bothered anything but I didn't have many Corals then, so they might?

Either way, is a creature of some sort, not leather stingers.
Thank you for confirming!! I was going crazy thinking I had one of a kind hahahaha what you explained makes perfect sense to what was found.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of mine, it's on the end of a red macro algea. This was as I was looking for a positive id. I used a airline tubing to siphon out the globs. Once you realize it's there, you can track them back to the blob by the strings.

Post in thread 'Tank 4, Maggie's Eel build' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tank-4-maggies-eel-build.999179/post-11676037

Also a couple posts down, there's a link to another id thread of someone else's, and they got a great up close picture on a heater knob.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1953.jpeg
Not sure if I got it or not. It was hard to get to
Your coral will thank you for removing whatever that was.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back