Florescent illuminous green rock

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, all

So, I missed it but my wife informed me this morning that parts of the rock in the MDT were glowing luminescent green, i quote "like Moana". Is this some sort of Coraline algae? Also, there are a coupl of dark purple hair patches? Guessing a gently brush will get them off?

Last edited:

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, all

So, I missed it but my wife informed me this morning that parts of the rock in the MDT were glowing illuminous green, i quote "like Moana". Is this some sort of Coraline algae? Also, there are a coupl of dark purple hair patches? Guessing a gently brush will get them off?
The dark purple hair patches are Cyanobacteria. You can blow it off the rocks with a turkey baster. As far as the green glowing we’d need a picture under white light to ID it.

I assume your system is fairly new. If so it’ll be a few months before coralline gets a good foothold. You have to introduce coralline into your system if you want it.

Unlike nuisance algae coralline doesn’t have spores that travel through the air. Many times hermit crabs and snails have some coralline on their shells. IME Mexican turbo snails are the most likely to have coralline on them.

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Fishy888. Im not overly worried from what I've read, yes tank started in January. I thinks its coraline. the purply bit is the dark bit in the middle of the picture
IMG_1285.jpeg

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks appear to have cyano and green hair algae. Maybe @vetteguy53081 can weigh in on this also.

You want to keep nitrates between 5 ppm and 10 ppm. You also want phosphates between 0.05 ppm and 0.1 ppm.

Do you use RO/DI or tap water? If you’re using tap water you’re adding sediments, phosphates, nitrates, and potentially heavy metals like zinc, copper, lead, etc to your system. Plus the chemicals the water treatment plants add to the water depends on the time of year, the water level in the reservoir, etc.

The best thing you can do is to invest in a RO/DI system. Your water chemistry will be far more stable, something that will bring coralline about. That and getting your phosphates and nitrates down.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be either surface film algae or start of coralline. Film algae will blow off or brush off, coaraline will adhere more and not brush off with toothbrush as easily
Cyano also has tis appearance but I dont believe it may be

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rocks appear to have cyano and green hair algae. Maybe @vetteguy53081 can weigh in on this also.

You want to keep nitrates between 5 ppm and 10 ppm. You also want phosphates between 0.05 ppm and 0.1 ppm.

Do you use RO/DI or tap water? If you’re using tap water you’re adding sediments, phosphates, nitrates, and potentially heavy metals like zinc, copper, lead, etc to your system. Plus the chemicals the water treatment plants add to the water depends on the time of year, the water level in the reservoir, etc.

The best thing you can do is to invest in a RO/DI system. Your water chemistry will be far more stable, something that will bring coralline about. That and getting your phosphates and nitrates down.

The picture doesnt do it just but I dont think its Cyano. RO/DI water, no tap.

OP
OP
H-C6179

H-C6179

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be either surface film algae or start of coralline. Film algae will blow off or brush off, coaraline will adhere more and not brush off with toothbrush as easily
Cyano also has tis appearance but I dont believe it may be
Yes it brushed off very easily. Not slimy

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back