Florida Fighting Conch, do they scratch glass?

Prevailing Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2014
Messages
1,335
Reaction score
1,065
Location
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of putting 2 of these guys along with 4 of the smaller size ones in a 262 gallon reef.

1. Do they scratch the glass?

2. Are they good at turning sand over?

3. I have Tropic Eden Reef Flakes which is larger grain sand. Will they do okay in that? My Nassarius snails do okay.
 
Last edited:
They do not scratch the glass (or acrylic).

They can do an OK job of mixing the sand. They like to bury themselves in the sand.

Probably OK, but that's one I have no experience with.

I'm in SW Florida so Fighting Conch are easy to find at the beach. I've had a few, but I think they have died of starvation.
 
They do not scratch the glass (or acrylic).

They can do an OK job of mixing the sand. They like to bury themselves in the sand.

Probably OK, but that's one I have no experience with.

I'm in SW Florida so Fighting Conch are easy to find at the beach. I've had a few, but I think they have died of starvation.
Thanks, I think I’m going to go with the smaller Tiger Conch.
 
@Ron Reefman

Is the Tiger Conch more sustainable in a reef tank as far as conch’s go?

I was thinking of putting in 6 in my 262 gallon.

Rock is 7 years old, sand is over a year old - heavy bio load.
I wish I could help, but I have no experience with Tiger Conchs. On some days I can take my pick of dozens and dozens of Fighting Conch that wash up on the beach and are very likely to die there. But Tiger Conch are an eastern Pacific species so we don't have them in Florida. Sorry I can't help.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new