Flow and nutrient control help

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up and running for about a month. The rock has been fully cycled for almost 3 months.

I’m currently in an ugly phase. My phosphate is 0.05 and my nitrates have been between 5 and 10. I have a mix of macro algae and coral. What I’m wondering is, is there anything I need to change, or should I let the ugly phase run it’s course?

I have nassarius, astrea, and Cerith snails to help. My AI Nero 3 is set to around 1200 GPH and hits almost all of the tank. I don’t have a protein skimmer. And lastly, I feed once per day.

DE66188C-9267-447D-9056-4870B198D237.jpeg 34B0D6FE-2F69-478E-968C-DB034F7C7BE8.jpeg E4CC0447-65F3-4D91-87C0-315FCC723DC9.jpeg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Doesn’t look that ugly at all to me. Nutrient levels are spot on. What do you keep temp, salinity, pH, Alk, Ca, and Mg at and what do you use to measure each? Unless one of those is significantly off, then I think you should just keep on trucking’ as-is and have fun!

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! Doesn’t look that ugly at all to me. Nutrient levels are spot on. What do you keep temp, salinity, pH, Alk, Ca, and Mg at and what do you use to measure each? Unless one of those is significantly off, then I think you should just keep on trucking’ as-is and have fun!
Salinity is at 34 ppm, alk 10.3, Ca 420, Mg 1240. And temp is at 78. I’m not sure what the pH is, but I can check

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Looks like your parameters are dead on. Don't worry about pH. Your ugly phase will continue for a while (think months not weeks). Look out for hair algae and Cyano next. Do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Watch Ca, alk, and Mg if corals start growing or Coralline takes off. Be careful about adding fish or increasing feedings without some provision to address the increased waste.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start! Looks like your parameters are dead on. Don't worry about pH. Your ugly phase will continue for a while (think months not weeks). Look out for hair algae and Cyano next. Do just enough to keep it from getting out of control. Watch Ca, alk, and Mg if corals start growing or Coralline takes off. Be careful about adding fish or increasing feedings without some provision to address the increased waste.
I have stuff ready for dosing. Haven’t seen any major drops yet. Water changes have been enough to help so far. I’m excited to see them start growing! I’ve only lost 2 corals so far

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a refugium in the middle AIO chamber or a Nano protein skimmer be beneficial at all? It’s a 25 gallon tank. Right now I have 5 fish (haven’t seen the clown goby in a while tho) and plan to get a small 6th eventually.

tikalize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that stage may last for a little bit but i think if you just let it run its course and don't start making all types of adjustments you will be fine once the tank comes into its maturity. Just keep up with making sure all parameters are met and don't let it get out of hand like mentioned above. I'm going though the so call ugly stage because i upgraded to a 300g from a 240g and added some dry rock along with my established rock/Water/Sand and now I'm going through a new cycle. 240g was up for over 12 years.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a refugium in the middle AIO chamber or a Nano protein skimmer be beneficial at all? It’s a 25 gallon tank. Right now I have 5 fish (haven’t seen the clown goby in a while tho) and plan to get a small 6th eventually.
Parameters are good and good advice above. For a 25G, doing a refugium or skimmer is overkill IMO and not worth the effort/cost. It's so easy to do a 10 - 20% water change once a week with a nano tank instead. Also, I'd get a pH meter or checker (e.g. Hanna) since you have corals. You don't have to measure it constantly, but checking before and after a water change wouldn't be a bad idea.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back