Flow for 30x30x12 - Need your advise please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've recently upgraded from a 20g to a 30x30x12" shallow tank. I was using a MP10 for my 20g with two additional small cheap pumps on the corners. Now I switched to a MP40.

Tank_007.jpg

1month_001.jpg

I would really like to hear your opinion on the pumps for that shallow tank. What do you think would be the best flow solution. Two MP10 on each side of the tank or one mp40 in the center like it is now, or maybe two mp10 on the back wall? Please advise the best solution according your professional experience. Thank you.

Alexey.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is running at 65% on Reef Crest mode. No storm, when I only started the system yes, but after about 2 weeks no more sand storms here.

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it's just a matter of preference and what you want to do. If you go with the MP40 rout you can adjust it to meet anything you need and looks like you have a very open tank and going for the minimalist look and probably don't want cords and pumps every where unless necessary. You place the MP40 facing a direction that it isn't countering what you return pump is already moving then you should have more then adequate flow as you don't have a deep tank with a lot of rock blocking flow causing dead zones. An MP40 can work perfect for ya. And if your looking for a smaller pump to not be as bulky an MP10 can move a good amount of water and can be placed on the side but more towards the back and low so you get a cross flow across the back of your tank where your return isn't moving any water. Your water from your return is bowing across the top and mid section of your tank and into the glass where it is blowing down across the front . So the MP 10 or MP40 across the back will creat a back flow and pull the water back around your tank.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see this:

Flow_Map.jpg

This is the flow map now. As you can see it is very strong near the pump with direct flow on some SPS, very close what I would like to avoid. Blue zones are super low flow zones, we can say dead zone. Returns are doing very good job but more for the surface flow. Zones marked with dots are low flow zones and good flow can be achieved there only when Reef Crest is at the high phases of the cycle, but then the flow near the pump is crazy high.

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'd say put the MP40 on the side still towards the front and an MP10 towards the side but low under the returns so it gets those dead zones and you will have a cross high flow going across the top and a low flow going down the side of the tank.

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I thought not getting a response from EcoTech in 2.5 days is bad. You have been waiting nearly a week. Holy hell, I guess I still need to take a number.

OP
OP
Berlibee

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes not impressed with the forum activity of the sponsor. :) But it was quick by e-mail. x2 10MP they've said is better.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 24x24x18 and going to a 30x30x18.... on the smaller one I ran two mp10w on the back side. Plan is the same on the 30x30. Keeps everything on the back side and you see no cords and hard to see the pump with a black background. Flow was great too.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40 aiming to the front of my 36x36 cube, don't really like the flow pattern, as all my detritis are settling in the back wall of the tank, you really need another one pointing in an opposite direction.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 MP40 aiming to the front of my 36x36 cube, don't really like the flow pattern, as all my detritis are settling in the back wall of the tank, you really need another one pointing in an opposite direction.

how tall was your tank? On a 12" tank I can promise even if he puts it 1" below the surface (wouldn't do that unless you like air bubbles) he will have quite a bit of upflow at the rear of tank.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 inch, so 8" taller than his, but my problem is the unit would start sucking up air from the top if they are placed anything above 10" from the surface.
But I agree with you about the clean look, my tank is viewed from 3 side so having pumps mounted in the back wall is much more ideal.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am supersized you had settlement on the back. My tank was 18" tall and the up flow wouldn't let anything settle in the back. I had it half way up. 36" is a lot more distance then 24" though. hopefully I wont have an issue on my 30 x 30. putting the pumps on the side is a no go for me.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please see this:

Flow_Map.jpg

This is the flow map now. As you can see it is very strong near the pump with direct flow on some SPS, very close what I would like to avoid. Blue zones are super low flow zones, we can say dead zone. Returns are doing very good job but more for the surface flow. Zones marked with dots are low flow zones and good flow can be achieved there only when Reef Crest is at the high phases of the cycle, but then the flow near the pump is crazy high.

What generated this flow map? Very interesting.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I can shed no light on mp 10 or 40s I do see u have penductors what pump do u have down below?

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is a very old thread but I found this post through a google search... I'm looking for a 30x30x12 tank. Is this standard or was this custom built for you?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back