Flow for 6’ 150

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a new to me 6’ 150 gallon aquarium that has a dead zone on the far end from the return that has a buildup of detritus and cyano on the sand. The tank is piped with a single return outlet split into a tee to push water to both sides of the tank. I have two (2) Jebao SOW-20 power heads set to wave mode at approximately 40%. I’ve attached a picture. The red is the return lines, the often is the dead zone, and the yellow is fine but referenced below.

So far I’ve tried increasing the power output on the Jebaos but that didn’t do much for the dead zone. I’ve added a small powerhead on the back glass but even at the lowest setting it’s kicking up sand.

I’m thinking a gyre, specifically the Maxspect JUMP 4K, would fix my problem. I would put one or both of the Jebaos on the opposite ends. I’m not sure which end to put the gyre on, green dead zone or ok yellow zone. Any advice on my plan or location of the pumps would be greatly appreciated.
A36949B1-C4B5-4338-B1D6-D3D905DF0F77.jpeg

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a gyre on each end and 2 mp 40’s on the back. You could use your jebao’s on the rear and do gyres on the side. when I ran gyre on the rear it really messed up the sand. Piling it all over.

you could also try gyres vertically in each corner.

The jebao version of the gyre is better than the max spect.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a gyre on each end and 2 mp 40’s on the back. You could use your jebao’s on the rear and do gyres on the side. when I ran gyre on the rear it really messed up the sand. Piling it all over.

you could also try gyres vertically in each corner.

The jebao version of the gyre is better than the max spect.

Have you used the comparable maxspect as well to compare?

What do you like better about the jebao?

I'm looking to try one of the gyre pumps out.

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the maxspect broke after 3 months and always had ongoing problems. Jebao scp I’ve had zero issues and they are available in several sizes.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the maxspect broke after 3 months and always had ongoing problems. Jebao scp I’ve had zero issues and they are available in several sizes.

Which size Jebaos are you using? I can't find a flowrate on the different sizes. I think I need a 120 but really don't know.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add two more Jebao SOW-20 power heads. Position on the top corners of each side panel and direct to converge at a downward angle in the center of the tank. Set all to "else" and 50-75% power.

reefbandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which size Jebaos are you using? I can't find a flowrate on the different sizes. I think I need a 120 but really don't know.
I’m running the scp150 because I’ve got a 7’ tank. The 150 has up to about 7,500gph flow rate if I remember correctly The 120 is 4500gph. I’m sure scp120 would be plenty. I only run my scp 150 at 50-75%.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the scp150 because I’ve got a 7’ tank. The 150 has up to about 7,500gph flow rate if I remember correctly The 120 is 4500gph. I’m sure scp120 would be plenty. I only run my scp 150 at 50-75%.
Thanks for the input. I picked up two MLW-20s for the back wall. I want to see if the Wi-Fi and app are any good. Plus the SOW-20s are pretty large so I know I want something different on the back. Once I get those dialed in I’ll pickup a pair of SCP or MCP-120s.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flows the hardest thing to master in a reef tank. I use Jebao on my QT and while they are great I think I need to put a timer on it and have it turn of at night. My QT is struggling with flow bc its just a pump pointing at the same direction 24-7 at the same intensity. From my experience corals don't like being blasted with flow at night.

Play around with the pumps, I would have the pump on the right closer to the backwall and closer to the surface. I would have the one on the left closer to the front and move it lower so its blowing across the rockwork. Main thing is have no rock or another pumps obstruction in the propellers path. This worked for my on my last tank and I am doing it now on my 400 gallon tank. good luck

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random flow is the best. If you get surges from pump that will create some random lateral flow. The seas don't stop flow at night where they are from so you should be good.

Back