Flow for EVO 13.5... small pumps

DeWittTheReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to add some flow to my EVO 13.5, but all powerheads/pumps seem to be too strong. The tank is mainly to grow out my bounce shrooms, but adding some branching corals for my clown gobies, so I need more flow. No amount of positioning the returns has helped. Anyone have a tiny pump thats worked well for them? Thanks in advance!!!

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably want one with some means of control. I just upgraded to an MP10 and being able to dial it down to the percentage my tank needs has been clutch. I would also say Hydors are an inexpensive and reliable one. BRS says you want 10-20 times your tank volume, so the 260 gph @itsken37 mentions is probably sufficient as well.

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably want one with some means of control. I just upgraded to an MP10 and being able to dial it down to the percentage my tank needs has been clutch. I would also say Hydors are an inexpensive and reliable one. BRS says you want 10-20 times your tank volume, so the 260 gph @itsken37 mentions is probably sufficient as well.
it worked really well for me and all of my coral and fish loved it.

OP
OP
DeWittTheReefer

DeWittTheReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this pump in my 13.5. it fits in the back cavity. 113 gph is the original pump and this is a 260 gph.
Im looking more for powerheads, as I think Id rather have the flow be more controlled. That stock pump is silly weak, so this is good to know too. Thank you.

OP
OP
DeWittTheReefer

DeWittTheReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it worked really well for me and all of my coral and fish loved it.
I am going for controlled flow. Ive been trying to find something around 200gph or so because its such a small tank and I have the shrooms in there. Something small, and with good initial flow, but flow that'll break up evenly and peacefully around the tank. There has to be something perfect, right? Haha.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking more for powerheads, as I think Id rather have the flow be more controlled. That stock pump is silly weak, so this is good to know too. Thank you.
Check out random flow generators. I used a Syncra Silent 1.0 with dual RFG outputs with fantastic growth and polyp extension in my softies and lps.

Tunze makes a nano flow powerhead that people use. Just display clutter IMO.

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sicce Syncra 1.0 in mine. The pump is about 250gph I think. You have to take the plastic guards off, but it sits in there perfectly and gives solid turnover. For the wavepump, I have a Current-USA eFlux 660 and keep it turned down to 20%. I have mushroom and leather in there and they love the setup.

OP
OP
DeWittTheReefer

DeWittTheReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using this in my 10 gallon cube and its great. I also have a mighty jet with a random flow nozzle. There are no dead spot in the tank.

I ended up getting an SLW-5, actually, haha. It only protrudes 2.25", which is great, and seems to have pretty low output potential.

OP
OP
DeWittTheReefer

DeWittTheReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't aware they made a smaller one. Let us know how you like it
The pump is almost perfect, for this tank. It has a low enough flow level to not stir up the whole tank, and more than enough power if you wanted it. Its really compact too. My only gripe thus far is that the newer magnet setup is a little wonky on this small of a pump. The power cord is so stiff that it makes keeping the pump on the inner magnet tough. It doesnt seem to effect the pump though. I also miss the directional adjustment that the old Jebaos had. All in all though, pretty good pump for $58 total.

image.jpg
image.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back