FLOW GOAL: Let's talk about Methods, Equipment, Lessons and Goals

How are you accomplishing water flow in your reef tank?

• Powerhead Type Pumps

Votes: 490 67.0%
  • Closed Loop

Votes: 30 4.1%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 408 55.8%
  • Wavemaker

Votes: 275 37.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.7%

• Total voters

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S
Good morning and welcome to Reef2reef!

Flow usually means volume of flow in isplay tank excluding sump turnover.
I will answer your questions in more detail when I get to work.
BRS has done pretty good videos about flow that you might find interesting and informative.
[/ QUOTE]
Thanks for wanting to help, but I have a language problem. I read and understand everything, but I speak terribly, just as I write, and I do not always understand what they say. Therefore, in the dialogue, I often stop the interlocutor and ask either to speak more slowly or in simpler words. Well, google translator help me. Sorry. It will be easier for me to read.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?

On a standard 180gal tank, I have mp40s on either end programmed with the apex. They run in Tidal swell mode through the day max 50% but it varies a little through the day. Pulse overnight on antisynch. It also runs in nutrient transport mode for 30 mins following feed mode. There are random flow generators on my returns.

2. Do you have some type of method or idea that you're employing to accomplish your flow goals? (gyre, random, closed loop, just stick a pump on the glass etc)

I tried to design it so that I have enough low flow areas for LPS, with higher flow areas for hardier SPS. Trachys, lobos, acans don't always appreciate tons of flow.

3. What have you learned when it comes to producing flow in your tank? Pros and Cons!

I watch my corals. I have no idea how much turnover I have or anything like that, although I did look at the numbers a little when I was shopping for my return pump. I let my cleanup crew and my diamond goby worry about the detritus.

4. What is your goal for flow in your tank? (seems obvious but maybe not)

It's a mixed reef and I like my LPS, so I needed enough low flow areas. I placed the MP40s closer to the top so that the tops of the rocks, where I will eventually place a couple of hardier SPS varieties, get more flow. Right now the flow is enough for the few SPS I have, I may have to adjust as I add more.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back