FLOW GOAL: Let's talk about Methods, Equipment, Lessons and Goals

How are you accomplishing water flow in your reef tank?

• Powerhead Type Pumps

Votes: 490 67.0%
  • Closed Loop

Votes: 30 4.1%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 408 55.8%
  • Wavemaker

Votes: 275 37.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 20 2.7%

• Total voters

Richard John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1800 mag return pump a tunze 1685 and tunze 1665 power head on my 180g. The two power heads are not controlling thinking of adding one or two I can control what would u go with

Asmith64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gotta agree with Brew12. I have a 5' x 3' 220 gallon sps dominant mixed reef. I believe in not just a high turnover rate, but a high water velocity as well. I used to run a lower flow rate with less powerful pumps until I went SCUBA diving on a couple of reefs. I was struck by the sheer volume of water being pushed and pulled around the rock and coral by the ocean's natural wave action. I realized that most coral, especially sps, can not only tolerate massive amounts of water flow, but seem to prefer it. After that experience I've increased my water flow immensely and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?
1 Gyre XF350 running the Lunar Tidal Cycle at 100%, and 1 Gyre XF230 from a previous 75 on pulse setting with an 8 second ramp up to 100%, 8 seconds at full power, and 8 seconds ramp down. The difference in cycles between the two create massive flow at all tank levels along with variable, powerful, whirling vortices whipping water about in the tank. Eventually I will replace the XF230 with a second XF350 pump.

2. Do you have some type of method or idea that you're employing to accomplish your flow goals? (gyre, random, closed loop, just stick a pump on the glass etc)
I use two gyre pumps set approximately 3 inches under the surface of the water, centered on the left and right sides of the tank. Two of my return outlets point along my rear corners to keep any detritus from settling and two just push water across the top of the tank.

3. What have you learned when it comes to producing flow in your tank? Pros and Cons!
I have yet to experience too much flow. I think you'll start losing water out of your tank due to wave action before you'll overwhelm your corals. Even my Euphyllia and other LPS seem to respond better to the high flow and really puff out in it. I have had no issues with fish struggling against the flow rate nor with sand being strewn about the tank. I'm sure the Vortech MP series of pumps are fantastic, but for me I couldn't get the flow I have without my Gyre pumps. The wide stream of water they push is unparalleled and crucial in creating the undertow effect that keeps my sand bed and rocks so clean.

4. What is your goal for flow in your tank? (seems obvious but maybe not)
I generally shoot for as much random flow as reasonably possible. I don't like normal power heads and their unidirectional flow. I find a good ebb and flow reproduction in the tank's current is very important to coral health. I've ran tank as high as 100x turnover between return pumps and powerheads with no detriment. I'm currently sitting around 40x turnover and pretty pleased with it. I'll increase that a smidge once I get the second XF350 pump.

Flow is life.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Maxspexct Gyre x 2 and return pump

2. Do you have some type of method or idea that you're employing to accomplish your flow goals? (gyre, random, closed loop, just stick a pump on the glass etc)

Gyre with alternating current

3. What have you learned when it comes to producing flow in your tank? Pros and Cons!

Keep it simple

Maintain flow throughout the tank and rock work. SO there are no 'dead' areas.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was suggested that we talk about water flow in one of our daily questions and poll so here we go with FLOW! As you well know flow is very important for our tank for a multitude of reasons and choosing the right solution, pumps etc. is vital to the long term success of your reef. So help me out here and answer these questions and help us understand your FLOW GOAL!

1553801673945.png
1. 3K gyres (2)
2. Studying dendronephthya(carnation corals), and scleronephthya. Right now nothing made to simulate the flow they need is made for the end user. So we figure out inexpensive way to simulate the flow they like. 3 mini computers and relays, does the trick.
3. Took 2 years to figure out proper flow. Time will tell if they thrive. Flow is eccential, without proper flow, creatures die, very quickly
4. Our goal with flow is hoping dendronephthya and scleronephthya will thrive

IMG_20191204_184404_862.jpg

Malevolent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***This is just my experience***
So like most folks getting into reefing, it’s all about trial and error and experience pays off, even in this topic. I have a custom made 150 gallon acrylic drop down tank that I designed. Figuring out proper water flow is tricky to say the least. Like most people, we like to enjoy the natural echo system (and show it off) without the introduction of ugly pumps,wires,tubes,strainers, etc.
On a brand new tank, this is very evident and somewhat discouraging. As the tank matures and you get adjusted to the noise and looks of your equipment that run your system, you forget that most new visitors you introduce to your system are not adjusted to this. I am constantly upgrading my pumps to make it quieter and less obtrusive while not sacrificing the necessary water flow needed.
it seems like “the necessary” water flow is impossible to suggest to anyone and the general consensus is “avoid dead spots, don’t let it damage your corals, and don’t let it rearrange your landscape”.
Of course, with a new tank, some of that info is mute and almost impossible to do ahead of time until your tank matures and you add live stock.
my systems water flow consists of the return pump (4 outlets on one side for the top half). A closed loop for the bottom half of the tank (4 outlets on one side). One ice cap 1k gyre on the top upper side where I have mostly open water and is 40” deep.
Although I have a lot of water flow and my corals and live stock are thriving, I still have to do a lot of maintenance to keep it thriving that could ease the work load if I had more water flow.
D1E49EF3-099E-4BE0-AF24-A6E89AB27845.jpeg

Almost everyday I take a turkey baster and clean my rocks/corals off to keep sediment from becoming an issue and gravel cleaning with my water changing schedule.

I have made some changes which included replacing the super loud max pumps on the return with a apex cor 20 and my closed loop blue line pump with an apex cor 15. This allowed me to adjust the flow rate or in the case of the closed loop, have it set on different flow rates through out the day.
my next upgrade is to get the new maxi fx330 gyre for both ends of the tank and remove the ice cap to see if that will help with any current low flow areas to help breakup sediment deposits on my rock work.
If I had any suggestion “with my limited experience” for new reefers when it comes to water flow, try to get pumps that you can adjust flow rates and be prepared to adjust or add more. There is no reason to go out and buy more than you need right away. Just use common sense. You can always use something simple like fish food to see what your water flow is doing

Nobody077

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in the setup phase but 65 gal display, 29 gal sump. Water flow will be provided from return pump, approx 900gph after head pressure. Return is split between loc-line in center top and loc-line mid level each end feed by SCWD wave maker for a side to side effect.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech's in both of our aquariums (all MP40s). Over the past couple years, I've played around with a number of settings but now run NTM exclusively. I had good results with Reefcrest until the acroporas started growing out (and up into the main water stream); the relatively constant stream of water was causing abnormal growth patterns on some of the corals. Switching over to NTM has eliminated that issue with no negatives to the corals. The pumps on the other hand, do make more noise and run a lot hotter than they do in Reefcrest (likely hotter than any other mode). Anti-synce, 100%, NTM works well for me.

ColoradoBill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people have the Gyre pumps but I've heard bad review on them as to their longevity. Is that just bad press? Have other people had good success with them?

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many people have the Gyre pumps but I've heard bad review on them as to their longevity. Is that just bad press? Have other people had good success with them?

My gyre 150 motor failed in less than 2 years, and my controller on my 250 went after a year.
Love the flow they make but bought a Tunze to replace them.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 XF250's that are 2 years old, no issues so far. They do take more maintenance than other pumps though. I've simplified it by putting a thick plastic bag as a liner inside the metal container they came in. Fill that with vinegar and let it soak a few hours. I don't bother rinsing, just put it back in the tank. I haven't taken them apart per manufacturers directions to clean in well over a year.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2x WAV’s and a MaxSpect Gyre in my 90. Don’t run them at anywhere close to full power as I find anything over 50 causes INSANE sand movement and my leather/Euphylia look like they are going to blow away.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pumps, equipment, devices etc. are you using for flow?.
4x Wav pumps (all placed staggered back wall)
2 Gyres (will be on ends of tank high as possible)
Tunze Stream 3 (don't know where its going yet)
Jeabo DCT 15000 return pump
Random Flow Generator Nozzles on returns
Jeabo DCT 10000 manifold pump
Wav's..... up to 4000gph each.....16000gph total
Gyre....... up to 5000gph each.... 10000gph total
Stream 3 up to 3962gph............. 3962gph total
DCT 15000 up to 3962gph.......... 3962gph total

2. Do you have some type of method or idea that you're employing to accomplish your flow goals? (Gyre, random, closed loop, just stick a pump on the glass etc.)
The idea is to have multiple flow patterns, directions, intensities throughout the tank at all levels in the tank. Strong gyre lengthwise, strong medium and gentle random flow everywhere else top to bottom.

I am still learning and will gladly update as the learning continues.

I'm looking for massive random flow with no dead spots. Flow from all angles possible.
Side goal is to have this massive amount of water flow without sandstorms.
I don't know if this is doable in a 5ft x 2ft x 30inch deep 180 gallon reef tank but I'm going to try.

Last edited:

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x Tunze 6255s, 2x Tunze 6155s and 2x Gyre 350s.

The Gyres are side by side at the surface on one end of my 3m long tank and run at 30 to 50%, managed by the Gyre controller.

The Tunzes are using the Profilux 4 Surge 1 program which ramps them up one after the other until all are running at the set max power and then reverses and ramps them down one by one until they are all running at the set minimum power. Then the cycle starts again. I have set one hour between each pump ramping up or down so that it takes six hours for them all to get to max power and six hours for them to go down to the min power.

I'm convinced SPS corals thrive with high flow, preferably in some turbulent/changing pattern. If all of myTunzes and Gyres are running at max, that can give me over 90x flow in the DT though in reality it's less because not all of them are running at max and at the same time.

nick0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pumps, equipment, devices, etc. do you use for flow?

Tank Cube 50 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. Mixed reef.
~ 75 gallon hour return pump.
- 2 Pumps Tunze 6055 (~ 1400 gallons per hour each) Installed at the corners of the rear wall of the tank and diagonally directed, each tuned to 60% of the alternating heart rate. Both are directed towards the surface of the water.
- 2 MP-10 pumps, one on the right wall just above the level of the main location of the SPS, the second on the left wall of the tank at the very bottom for blowing detritus. both at 30%.

2. Do you have any method or idea that you use to achieve your flow goals? (Gyre, random, closed loop, just stick the pump on the glass, etc.)

Since I have a mixed tank, I am afraid of a strong stream, so as not to damage the LPS to coral.
Tunes pumps operate in an asynchronous pulse mode, MP-10 Reef-Krest.

3. What did you learn when it comes to creating flow in your tank? Advantages and disadvantages!

Nothing yet. I asked a question on ReefCentral forum , but after a not very kind answer from several users I decided to switch to another, more friendly forum. I have it now.

4. What is your goal for flow in your tank? (seems obvious, but maybe not)

So that all types of corals were comfortable, well, detritus did not stagnate.

I have many questions on this subject, but no one has ever answered these questions to me.
The main recommendations that I read are X25 - X30 of the tank volume.
- Do you mean the volume of the display tank?
- And the main question. Do I need to summarize the power of all pumps? For example, Tunze pumps works for me alternately in the pulse at 60%, i.e. somewhere around 800-850 gallons each. When calculating, do I need to summarize?
That is, one pump in the display tank creates ~ X16. Are these two the same X16, or is it X32?
In parallel with them, 2 MP-10 pumps each of which delivers at a maximum of another 500 gallons per hour. Plus a return pump.
This is approximately what level of current are in my tank?
And then, I could increase the course, but how do I know when too much? my LPS corals, it seems to me that they are getting a strong stream (compared to other tanks that I saw)?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What pumps, equipment, devices, etc. do you use for flow?

Tank Cube 50 gallon display and 20 gallon sump. Mixed reef.
~ 75 gallon hour return pump.
- 2 Pumps Tunze 6055 (~ 1400 gallons per hour each) Installed at the corners of the rear wall of the tank and diagonally directed, each tuned to 60% of the alternating heart rate. Both are directed towards the surface of the water.
- 2 MP-10 pumps, one on the right wall just above the level of the main location of the SPS, the second on the left wall of the tank at the very bottom for blowing detritus. both at 30%.

2. Do you have any method or idea that you use to achieve your flow goals? (Gyre, random, closed loop, just stick the pump on the glass, etc.)

Since I have a mixed tank, I am afraid of a strong stream, so as not to damage the LPS to coral.
Tunes pumps operate in an asynchronous pulse mode, MP-10 Reef-Krest.

3. What did you learn when it comes to creating flow in your tank? Advantages and disadvantages!

Nothing yet. I asked a question on ReefCentral forum , but after a not very kind answer from several users I decided to switch to another, more friendly forum. I have it now.

4. What is your goal for flow in your tank? (seems obvious, but maybe not)

So that all types of corals were comfortable, well, detritus did not stagnate.

I have many questions on this subject, but no one has ever answered these questions to me.
The main recommendations that I read are X25 - X30 of the tank volume.
- Do you mean the volume of the display tank?
- And the main question. Do I need to summarize the power of all pumps? For example, Tunze pumps works for me alternately in the pulse at 60%, i.e. somewhere around 800-850 gallons each. When calculating, do I need to summarize?
That is, one pump in the display tank creates ~ X16. Are these two the same X16, or is it X32?
In parallel with them, 2 MP-10 pumps each of which delivers at a maximum of another 500 gallons per hour. Plus a return pump.
This is approximately what level of current are in my tank?
And then, I could increase the course, but how do I know when too much? my LPS corals, it seems to me that they are getting a strong stream (compared to other tanks that I saw)?

Good morning and welcome to Reef2reef!

Flow usually means volume of flow in isplay tank excluding sump turnover.
I will answer your questions in more detail when I get to work.
BRS has done pretty good videos about flow that you might find interesting and informative.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back