• Wavs

Votes: 22 13.3%
  • Gyre

Votes: 51 30.7%
  • Vortech

Votes: 62 37.3%
  • Other

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • Personally, I don't find these threads useful at all. Not even a little bit.

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I am considering different options for my 6' tank 180g. Right now using two MP60wqd and I feel I could do more/better. Looking into wav, gyre, tunze.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along as I am considering different options for my 6' tank 180g. Right now using two MP60wqd and I feel I could do more/better. Looking into wav, gyre, tunze.
Save the money and go with wavs I think

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they have more spread then a vortech

But it could be plausible to get two gyres

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choices for my 180g 6' tank:

Two WAV. I have a 2016 apex with two open ports on my eb832. $400

Two tunze 6105, would need vdm module etc to control with apex. $600

Two gyre xf250 with icecap modules to connect to apex. $650

Hmmm!!

Edit: going to create my own thread so as to not hijack this one.

Last edited:

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you finally get?

I have 2 Jebao PP-15 and thinking to make a change to my 6' 125.

Thanks in advance..

Choices for my 180g 6' tank:

Two WAV. I have a 2016 apex with two open ports on my eb832. $400

Two tunze 6105, would need vdm module etc to control with apex. $600

Two gyre xf250 with icecap modules to connect to apex. $650

Hmmm!!

Edit: going to create my own thread so as to not hijack this one.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks.

Are you using it integrated with the APEX or the Jebao Controller and how do you like it?

I just set them and forget it. I set each to "else" and they never do anything else so I used the built in controllers. After that it was just a matter of pointing them in a way that I get a huge gyre in my tank and now I'm all set!

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Buddy. I was asking because i thought you got the SW instead of the PP to hook it to the APEX which i think is the only difference.

Actually I have 1 on W1 mode and the other on Else mode.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ecotech, gyre and jebao with only a little experience with tunze. I currently run jebao in my FW tanks, the small version PP4, and it's fantastic. Tiny and flows plenty for FW. I have 2 in my 180 discus tank. Plus even on this little pump the magnet is very strong and able to hold to 3/4" glass. That is a big deal for me, I have bought many pumps that can't handle that thickness (original GYRE being one).

Ecotech are nice, I like no cords but for my current project gyre is the way to go 100%. I have a 60 cube, cubes are hard to get proper flow and it has a full length corner overflow (marineland). Vertical gyre are imo without question the way to go. The magnet is sealed so I can put it in the overflow underwater and the wide output moves a great deal of water while being attached to the overflow you don't really notice the pump and it doesn't eat up much space in the tank. I am running two that are pointed at the side glass, this creates 2 gyres that meet at the opposite corner and pull back under the rock. I really don't see how any other style powerhead would work as well in this particular situation.

Here is the overflow after I drilled a return for herbie system and before painted the overflow glass:

g1.jpg

Here you can see one of them on the overflow, I just started this tank so it's not much to look at right now:

G2.jpg

This is a close up of the side, there is plenty of room for a mag float between the gyre and glass:

G3.jpg

Image of the other side gyre.

G4.jpg

Really like everything is the hobby most equipment have pros/cons.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Buddy. I was asking because i thought you got the SW instead of the PP to hook it to the APEX which i think is the only difference.

Actually I have 1 on W1 mode and the other on Else mode.
Yea if I did it again I'd get the PP. I was initially going to connect to apex but decided I didn't need to.

By the way I went with two gyre initially and didn't like them. So I went to the jebao.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank and how many jebao?

I just bought SPS frags from a guy who uses 2 Jebaos. His tank is full of all the high end SPS colonies. I was shocked for sure!!! Aslong as you place the pumps in the ideal spots and have them creating turbulent flow your golden.. I used a jebao for 4 years with no problem. My new setup I am finally able to afford 2 vortechs so decided on this for the Primary reason being battery backup and access to wifi. Jebao is a no doubt better price value.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used ecotech, gyre and jebao with only a little experience with tunze. I currently run jebao in my FW tanks, the small version PP4, and it's fantastic. Tiny and flows plenty for FW. I have 2 in my 180 discus tank. Plus even on this little pump the magnet is very strong and able to hold to 3/4" glass. That is a big deal for me, I have bought many pumps that can't handle that thickness (original GYRE being one).

Ecotech are nice, I like no cords but for my current project gyre is the way to go 100%. I have a 60 cube, cubes are hard to get proper flow and it has a full length corner overflow (marineland). Vertical gyre are imo without question the way to go. The magnet is sealed so I can put it in the overflow underwater and the wide output moves a great deal of water while being attached to the overflow you don't really notice the pump and it doesn't eat up much space in the tank. I am running two that are pointed at the side glass, this creates 2 gyres that meet at the opposite corner and pull back under the rock. I really don't see how any other style powerhead would work as well in this particular situation.

Here is the overflow after I drilled a return for herbie system and before painted the overflow glass:

g1.jpg

Here you can see one of them on the overflow, I just started this tank so it's not much to look at right now:

G2.jpg

This is a close up of the side, there is plenty of room for a mag float between the gyre and glass:

G3.jpg

Image of the other side gyre.

G4.jpg

Really like everything is the hobby most equipment have pros/cons.

Awesome setup.. Me likey....

Jenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Far beyond the last comment made I have hijacked to get an honest opinion as to what should spend my money on.
Coming into summer and expecting many blackouts am wondering what I should get to protect against blackouts. Have 170l redsea reefer , I have presently a Tunze nanostream that doesn't support a controller or the safety connector so going to invest in another wavemaker that supports a battery backup.
My question is stick with the tunze and rely on external DC battery support otherwise go Ecotech with the battery backup. The tank has lps and fish.
nb last summer the power was off for up to 4ds in areas.
My other question is any idea how long a standard car battery would last supplying a single, possibly 2 pumps?
Sorry for the invasion of questions

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a MP40w that's about 4 years old. It has been the most labor intensive powerhead I have ever had. Took apart today and the magnet on the wet side is has a huge crack in it, so now I have to buy a complete wet side, because you can't buy the parts you need, what a joke:mad:. I wish I knew this before I got 2 new ones for my next tank. You can't beat them for flow and turbluence, at least for the way my tank is setup. But I know for sure I won't buy them anymore. I also have 3 Hydor Koralia pumps 850 and two 1150, no maintenece other than taking them and running them in vinegar once a year, disassemble to clean. They continue to run like new and very quiet and they're over 5 years old. I had two Tunze protein skimmers back in the day, one lasted 10 years, the other 15. Always was able to rebuild them when needed which was only 3 times between the two of them. I guess it will try their pumps 6095 or 6105 after I do a little research.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back