Flow Issue

fishnugget1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66 wide by 30 tall by 22 deep tank.

SPS dominant. Have 2 Tunze 6095. I feel my flow is poor. Any suggestions on how to upgrade flow? More powerful Tunze? Gyre?

My Tunze's are in the corners on back glass. Using a Vectra M1 pump at 60% with dual head spout.

Any Ideas?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 66 wide by 30 tall by 22 deep tank.

SPS dominant. Have 2 Tunze 6095. I feel my flow is poor. Any suggestions on how to upgrade flow? More powerful Tunze? Gyre?

My Tunze's are in the corners on back glass. Using a Vectra M1 pump at 60% with dual head spout.

Any Ideas?

Yeah, I think you do have flow issues (but if your SPS are healthy that is totally up to you to judge). What is your budget for adding more flow? I would think that maybe adding 2 Maxspect Gyre XF250 on both sides plus your existing 6095s would do it justice. I have a tank with similar dimensions and I have 4 - Vortech MP40s on it. Good flow plus what my return is adding. I don't do the whole "I need this number of gallons/hour" type of thing. I just set it up and if I didn't like it and the coral didn't look happy I either moved them or added more flow.

Now that I have an actual frag tank setup, I do not keep anything in my DT besides the bigger pieces and growing out the frags in my frag tank. If you have larger colonies then that may not be an option for you. If they are frags and you can setup a frag tank, that is what I'd suggest. The the flow can be handled without breaking the bank while you prepare to setup the DT like you want.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with Mitch in that I'd like to know (and maybe see?) why you think flow is poor. Also what budget you have in mind.

My knee-jerk is to suggest a pair of Turbelle® nanostream® 6045's or Turbelle® nanostream® 6055's, depending on budget and desires.

I'd do the 6045's and put them on timers so one runs for a few hours, then the other one runs for a few hours, etc.

The 6055's will obviously let you do more.

You can also "bump up" to the Turbelle® stream 6065's if you think they'll fit your plans....they're from the Stream line, so are a larger form factor, same ball-style though.

If you'd rather keep trying it with just two pumps (within view), then maybe upgrading to a pair of Turbelle® stream 6105's, or adding something like the 6150 (Turbelle® stream 3) that might be even more capable of hidden placement in your tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back