Flow Meter for "non-apex" reefers

  • Thread starter Thread starter Roughneck
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Yes, but that's to get the most bang for your buck. It's not like the algae the flows through more slowly will somehow live.
From what I understand, the high flow rate for algae/bacteria is based on 2 factors; 1. They can be killed with a short exposure to the UV (shorter than parasites), and 2. Since they reproduce very quickly, a faster flow allows the UV to treat more water and keep up or outpace their regrowth in the system.
 
From what I understand, the high flow rate for algae/bacteria is based on 2 factors; 1. They can be killed with a short exposure to the UV (shorter than parasites), and 2. Since they reproduce very quickly, a faster flow allows the UV to treat more water and keep up or outpace their regrowth in the system.
I believe you are correct about this-- but I would expect that there is a diminishing return situation here: for it to be perfect you might want 1000 gph, but you would probably get 80% of the way there with 400 gph. For ich etc, 80% of the way there is completely unacceptable in my book, but for inhibiting micro algae and bacteria, my bet is that the observable difference in the tank that results from the remaining 20% is negligible.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new