Flow Question--Apps & Choices good or bad

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my question. More of a curious question. On past tanks, my flow was set. No programming other than the basic set it up and forget it. Now I have 2 Red Sea Reef wave 45's and 2 mp40's. All with programs. My question is, do we need, or is it beneficial to have all these wave patterns set throughout a 24 hr period. And even running backwards. Is it better to have 1 or 2 or 3 instead of 6-7 different switches in flow? I'm so used to seeing the surface of the tank with a lot of agitation. Now there are times with it looks almost smooth (but it isn't, just a light rippling.

The mp40's are about 6-7 inches down, the 45's near the top on either end. They do each push water to the middle when on 60% which is the highest I have (could go higher prob.)

So what are everyone's opinions of they type or variety of flows offered now by the apps. Just a gimick or toy? Or is it useful and healthy. My corals are super happy and thriving and growing so it is not harmful. Just curious and a bit concerned that at times, the flow seems so mild.

Anyone who wants could also share a screen shot of their flow and tank size. Reefer 3xl900 here

Screenshot_20220110-072756_ReefBeat.jpg

Screenshot_20220109-213428_Mobius.jpg

edited to change 1st photo which didn't have all the schedule

Last edited:

Doug6952

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. On my new tank, which currently contains rocks and sand, I have it switching flow patterns every 3hrs or so. Except for a long gentle overnight flow.
Once I get corals in there, I'll observe the corals to see which flow patterns they prefer.
You'd figure that in the ocean the flow is constantly changing.

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the two return pump outlets, I only have two mp40s. I positioned them exactly across from each other, both running reef crest mode. But I set the left pump to a max flow a few percent lower than the right, because that seemed to move the impact point a little further left of center, which was where I wanted it.

Watching the Mobius app, I can see the pumps ranging from about 600 gph to 2600 gph all through the day. Sometimes the left is stronger, sometimes the right.

That makes pretty chaotic changing patterns around the tank as then change speeds and collide and disperse. I only reduce it 5-10% at night for a few hours, and I'm not sure that's really needed. It's not like the ocean becomes a tranquil lake at night. ;)

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even see you could see the gph! I'm running about 3000-3200. I'm running the left 40-45% and added reef crest for about 4 hrs. Right runs up to 50% during its reef crest time. rest 40-45 as they are on the back wall pointed toward the front. 2 rs 45's on each side

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even see you could see the gph! I'm running about 3000-3200. I'm running the left 40-45% and added reef crest for about 4 hrs. Right runs up to 50% during its reef crest time. rest 40-45 as they are on the back wall pointed toward the front. 2 rs 45's on each side
Yep, now that they’ve added Widgets, you can add each Vortech and it will show the real-time flow rate. There are things about the new interface that drive me crazy, but I do like that option. :)

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer random settings for my 120.
6 powerheads all 100%.
1 only comes on when lights are on.
Random, pulse, else, wave modes, depending on powerhead.
For my system as it grows out this seems to work well and growth is better with this type of flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back