Flow Question for Waterbox 100.3

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be ordering a 100.3, and I want to know whether two EcoTech MP10s will be enough to house soft corals and LPS. The tank has dimensions of 36” long x 24” wide x 22” high. I will be placing the pumps on the rear pane of glass, facing the front of the tank because this will be the first system that will allow me to conceal them by removing them from the side panes.

Do you think that these two pumps, along with a Neptune COR-15 will be enough? The MP10s are rated for 2.5-50g systems. I prefer to not have to upgrade to MP40s. I do want to eventually purchase two more MP10s so that I can place two on each side of the overflow box; one pump toward the top and one pump toward the bottom of the tank on both sides. I would like to have more pumps set on lower settings, spread through the tank to offer more coverage, rather than one or two larger pumps that can’t be configured to hit every area that I want with different intensities of flow.

Last edited:

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 100.3 and was looking at MP10s on the back wall also. My understanding is they don't stay on 1/2" glass for very long as the magnets are only strong enough for up to 3/8". I went with the Cor-20 for the return pump.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 100.3 and was looking at MP10s on the back wall also. My understanding is they don't stay on 1/2" glass for very long as the magnets are only strong enough for up to 3/8". I went with the Cor-20 for the return pump.

Are you going with MP40s instead? I don’t think that I can sell that to my wife because I already have two MP10s, and I’ll still need to get another Radion light.

What made you go with the COR-20 over the COR-15?

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you are going Waterbox over Red Sea?

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason you are going Waterbox over Red Sea?

The main reason is that I like that Waterbox has a glass overflow box. I don’t like seeing coralline anywhere but on the rocks, so it will be very easy to scrape off with the same steel blade that I will use on the side panes. I also prefer their sump configuration.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the red sea v3 sumps they have out now. Nothing against Waterbox but I would never pay this type of money for something so new and unproven when Red sea has been around for so long and makes great tanks (and costs the same).

GL

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the cor-20 for 2 reasons, first is that it can run stand alone as I don't have a controller yet. The second was that people that I know that have the cor-15 with 3/4" return lines are only getting around 400-600gph and the cor-20 gets in the 800-1000gph range.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back