Flow question?

NewFisher18

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Messages
99
Reaction score
25
Location
Long Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 gallon water box with a Nero 5 pump/wavemaker. I am having trouble figuring out the gph it should run at/ the high/low percentages it should be at. I will have clownfish pair and soft/maybe LPs coral in the tank. Pls help thx.
 
Hopefully others will chime in soon. I would start with low settings (especially with a Nero 5 in a 35g tank) and then work up. Factors like whether or not you have sand, what is the added impact on flow from your return pump, what type of corals that you plan to keep, etc. will all come into play. Watch your tank, it will likely point you in the right direction.
 
Try 1”-3” per second flow rate, random if ya can do that. That should be good for softies, clowns fine.

You can estimate that by adding some mysis in front of the pump and watch them travel.

In contrast, I’m most SPS so I move 6”-10” per second.
 
Try 1”-3” per second flow rate, random if ya can do that. That should be good for softies, clowns fine.

You can estimate that by adding some mysis in front of the pump and watch them travel.

In contrast, I’m most SPS so I move 6”-10” per second.
ok will do.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new