FLOW QUESTION...

ReefOG311

View Badges
Reaction score
Is it better to fluctuate type of flow throughout the day? I have read that you should mix in different flows like "constant"once in awhile to cover the coral from all directions. Thoughts on the subject? I have my vortex mp40 changing every 3 to 4 hours with constant speed on for an hour in between. I also have back wall wavemakers on random all the time.

Ohashimz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is it better to fluctuate type of flow throughout the day? I have read that you should mix in different flows like "constant"once in awhile to cover the coral from all directions. Thoughts on the subject? I have my vortex mp40 changing every 3 to 4 hours with constant speed on for an hour in between. I also have back wall wavemakers on random all the time.
Correct, coral like turbulence current more than constant.
If you have voretch pump most if the modea they have vary throughout the day unless you specifically choose to run constant.
I go over multiple modes day. Reef creat, pulses, NTS(running it 1 hour after feeding so it help clean water columb and push leftover food to the frain) and lagoon at night.

This is my schedule. Its bit overkill btw but you get the picture.

Tastee

View Badges
Reaction score
I run my Gyre on what (at least in my head :) ) is a tidal cycle. I also incorporate a reverse period at midnight (Gyre) to assist in moving detritus under the pump (I only have the one).

Here is my cycle:
1. 00:00 Gyre 50%
2. 02:00 Gradual Pulse 30%
3. 07:30 Continuous 30%
4. 08:30 Pulse 50%
5. 13:30 Continuous 30%
6. 14:30 Gradual Pulse 50%
7. 19:30 Continuous 30%
8. 20:30 Pulse 40%

Good luck!

SaltwaterAquarium.com