Flow questions!

jreynolds13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey another question! I recently bought a 240gph wave pump made by koralia. The employee at the local fish store said it would be a good idea to put in my tank. It is a 20G tank and it already gets a fair amount of flow from the filter pump. How do I know if i really need to put this into my tank? And if so where do I put it? would my Bubble tip anemone get stuck inside it? (I've heard bad stories)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA so far nobody does! :(
Patience, grasshopper....

Well, many things to consider here. First off, is there a sump on this tank? What type of corals are you looking to add? What is the actual flow that you have now, in GPH, best estimate?
Nems can and do sometimes get caught up in powerheads/wavemakers but you usually can place screens over the suction sides of the pump and nems won't, generally, move once they have found their happy place unless flow changes.

A full tank shot would also help...

OP
OP
jreynolds13

jreynolds13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience, grasshopper....

Well, many things to consider here. First off, is there a sump on this tank? What type of corals are you looking to add? What is the actual flow that you have now, in GPH, best estimate?
Nems can and do sometimes get caught up in powerheads/wavemakers but you usually can place screens over the suction sides of the pump and nems won't, generally, move once they have found their happy place unless flow changes.

A full tank shot would also help...

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u kind sir.

I will send a quick video! I have no sump. And I also have no idea what an estimate on GPH would be haha. Maybe a video might be able to tell you.
Well what type of pump do you have? And you told us the wavemakers gph

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u kind sir.

I will send a quick video! I have no sump. And I also have no idea what an estimate on GPH would be haha. Maybe a video might be able to tell you.
Here for you.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an all in one filter. I have the JBJ 20 gallon rimless tank. So whatever pump that came with.
Can you post up another, a tad longer, concentrating on just the corals to include the nem?

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you're fine for now. As you add corals and the interior real estate alters the current flow, you likely will need to add more flow then.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that adding the power head would be too much flow if I put it in now?
Depending on how you place it and where you direct the flow, maybe, maybe not. If you already have it, stick it in there and play around with direction. The only caveat is your nem seems happy. Change the flow of the tank and he might move. In which case, I'd have the intake of the wavemaker screened off, JIC. You can always remove it.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't watch your videos but I had two of those in my old 20g long tank. It was great! You'll be fine. Just adjust where it's pointed as needed.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from that short clip I would add the pump. I would look at turnover rates. 20x turnover is where I would begin with. 20*20 is 400 and that is what I would shoot for as my minimum gallons per hour (GPH) You probably have about 10x turnover with that stock pump. Good luck tank looks nice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back