Flow rate for media reactor

  • Thread starter Thread starter fishski13
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

fishski13

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2021
Messages
969
Reaction score
716
Location
New Jersey/New York
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be using the Aquaforest AF90 media reactor outside my sump using a separate pump. This is my first sump and I do not want to mess with plumping and create a manifold and valve to connect the media reactor to so hence I am going with a separate pump. What kind of flow rate should I be looking to pass through my media reactor. I am looking to use AF Bio Fil or AF Carbon. Any help would be appreciated.
 
I guess it depends on which media and what your goal is. I know traditionally people say to not have super fast flow through the carbon but I doubt it makes a huge difference with the carbon. This reminded of wanting to ask @Randy Holmes-Farley a similar question about if he has an opinion on whether the contact time with the carbon realistically matters.



As for the biomedia, I think that depends on if you want it to be aerobic or anaerobic
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new