Flow suggestions

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some ideas on flow patterns in my tank. See the pic below which is a few months old, but shows the rock structure better than anything else I have right now.

This is a 90 cube, with a horseshoe shaped rock structure, high in the back, dropping off to the front. There is somewhere around 5" of space between the rock and back glass. Currently, my lowest flow area is the high peak that I planned for SPS. That spot gets a small amount of direct flow from my return nozzle, but my pair of powerheads are placed on either side, pushing towards the front of the tank.

Obviously, I don't want powerheads on the front glass, and I really like side panes to remain as viewable as possible.
I've tried turning one powerhead 90° to move water around the tank either clockwise, or counterclockwise, but this causes everything to lean to one direction and the euphyllia don't like it much.
I've thought about a gyre on the rear pane, upper center but that would just push more water forward, and end up blasting anything that starts to grow upward from that flat peak.

I can't put any direct flow on the top left where my monti is, because then it just does the airfoil thing and starts to wobble things that aren't cemented down.

The only other thing I can think of is to put a powerhead on the back right upper corner, pushing mostly across the back, and just a little onto the rock structure.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Untitled.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about have them cycle. While one is on the other is off. Change this every hour. Maybe even a bit of overlap for more flow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back