Flow too strong or just surfing?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my yellow coris wrasse has been surfing the top of the tank. His head partially above water. He does this all day long.

He doesn't jump. It almost like he's eating the surface skim

I did increase my flow a few weeks ago to help my sps.

Too much flow or is he having fun?

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other fish is fine. Had him for a year and a month. He's eating well.

When the flow shifts, he relaxes and explores the tank. He seems to get excited with the top flow

He's been doin g this for a week or so.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not be too worried yet. If the fish is eating normal and not being harassed by other residents it might just be an odd behavior. This would not be an issue due to high flow as fish can take some really intense flow well beyond what can be produced in our aquariums. The fish might be enjoying the high current. While the fish has not jumped I would make sure there is a screen top in place as it wrasses can jump. One option is to redirect the flow to see if the behavior of the fish changes over a couple of days if it does try changing it back to what is was originally to see if the behavior starts again.

bellasdad0911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's fine. As mentioned above some have odd behaviors. If anything I would be worried that he is ready to carpet surf when the lights are out. I would some mesh on top of the tank just to make sure

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd behavior imo. My Yellow Coris Wrasse never does this. He's always busy looking in the rocks for things to eat.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before I adjusted the flow, he'd circle a magnetic rock attached to the glass, I assume he's going after his reflection. Always on the same side of the tank. He stopped when I upped the flow. It's a gyre and it rotates up and down.. up has stronger flow and this he surfs against. When it shifts down, he'll go exploring and picking at rocks. Soon it goes back up, he's back up surfing.

everyone else in the tank doesn't care about the flow at all.

it is strange. especially when he'd poke his head out of the water. I thought he was trying to catch food this way.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before I adjusted the flow, he'd circle a magnetic rock attached to the glass, I assume he's going after his reflection. Always on the same side of the tank. He stopped when I upped the flow. It's a gyre and it rotates up and down.. up has stronger flow and this he surfs against. When it shifts down, he'll go exploring and picking at rocks. Soon it goes back up, he's back up surfing.

everyone else in the tank doesn't care about the flow at all.

it is strange. especially when he'd poke his head out of the water. I thought he was trying to catch food this way.
I remember my Bellus Anglefish for the longest time would do laps around my frag rack all day long. Then one day she didn't do it any longer. Now she acts normal. Never did figure out what the issue was. Fish are odd.

As long as your wrasse is eating I'd just keep a close eye on him and act accordingly like everyone else said.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with velvet are known to swim in the direction of the flow. Does the wrasse color look off, pale? Does it look like it has spots? Yellow color wrasses are harder to spot Ich/velvet. Has there been any recent additions to the tank?

@melypr1985, @Humblefish

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a flasher wrasse that does this, but he jumps. Bounces off the net every day or so, used to stress him (and me) out. Now he bounces off the net and goes right back to swimming around, no stress coloration or anything anymore.

I just think, he is a, um, special fish. I think he might be getting spooked by his reflection, but I can't pinpoint a reason for the jumping. The surface swimming, popping head out, I just attribute to him being a weirdo...

I'm not worried about disease either, he eats, and acts normal and picks of rocks at times. My fish was also quarantined with copper treatment, as well as general cure, and then antibiotics for an infection. All cleared before moving into the display about 2 months ago.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
his color is vivid yellow, no white splotches or spots, no ich or any signs of disease. He eats very well.doubt he's sick

Probably right he's okay. Could be just looking for a escape route! Lol

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if he does this when I am around? I am looking at my security camera and he's just picking at the rocks lol. Maybe he associates me with food?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if he does this when I am around? I am looking at my security camera and he's just picking at the rocks lol. Maybe he associates me with food?

Yes that can happen for sure! Mine can be at the far end of the tank and see me, and here they all come running towards me! I walk across the room and they will follow me!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back