• System 2 Flow 2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designing two separate systems and trying to determine what wavemakers I should utilize. Also undecided on the size, but have certain dimensions I keep coming back to.
System 1
- 144" x 36" x 30" Peninsula
- Flow 1
- On overflow - 2 Hydrowizard ECM63
- Returns - 2 Sea Swirls on end
- In 6-10.5' lengths- Abyzz A200 Closed Loop with 3 outlets
OR
- Flow 2
- Overflow- 4 MP60
- End - 2 MP60
- In 6-10' lengths- Abyzz A200 Closed Loop with 3 outlets

System 2
- 96" x 36" x 30"
Flow 1
- 2 Hydrowizard ECM63- opposite sides
- 2 Returns
Flow 2
-
4 MP60 - 2 on each side
- 2 Returns

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like you have thought this through well. I think you have some really good choices involved :) Best of luck

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you planning on growing? Flow requirements are different between SPS and LPS.

I have a 96x32x24 tank peninsula style tank and am using a red dragon 230 W high pressure pump feeding 3 sea swirls with flow randomizer attachment. It does a good job of creating a random flow pattern across the whole tank. In addition, I have 2 of the large tunze s on overflow side on pulse mode at about 40% power. When I drop food in it does a good job of circulating food throughout the whole tank. I don’t actually have coral
In the tank yet as I’m still letting the tank mature..

My plan is mostly LPS corals. I’m sure I’ll throw in some SPS eventually…would probably be closer to tunze side of aquarium to be able to really get them so good flow.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals are you planning on growing? Flow requirements are different between SPS and LPS.

I have a 96x32x24 tank peninsula style tank and am using a red dragon 230 W high pressure pump feeding 3 sea swirls with flow randomizer attachment. It does a good job of creating a random flow pattern across the whole tank. In addition, I have 2 of the large tunze s on overflow side on pulse mode at about 40% power. When I drop food in it does a good job of circulating food throughout the whole tank. I don’t actually have coral
In the tank yet as I’m still letting the tank mature..

My plan is mostly LPS corals. I’m sure I’ll throw in some SPS eventually…would probably be closer to tunze side of aquarium to be able to really get them so good flow.
For the peninsula- a SPS dominant mixed reef with sand. My inspiration is this tank ()
For the other tank- Bare Bottom all SPS, maybe some zoas.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 120x48x30 - I have both the Hydrowizard ECM63 and the Abyzz Flow Cannon AFC150 -

The Abyzz flow cannon on the long end of the tank will easily move all the water in the aquarium.

I use on flow canon just for a rocking wave flow in the tank, One to push the water clockwise and the Ecm63 to push the water counter clockwise.

With the Flow Canons for sure you won't need to have a close loop. The ECM63 flow seems to disperse sooner, and I don't have the same experience.

With the Abyzz on one of the tank - it shoots (with force) water all the way across the tank, around the 48" end and down the back of the tank. At 20' from the pump outlet, on the back wall of the tank, it will take the heads of Duncans and lay them flat out (pushed down from the force of the current). The ECM63 blows the Ducan tentacles but doesn't quite lay them down with as much force.

Someone did a study and determined that the Abyzz was using 2x the power of the ECM63 and figured it hits with close to 2x the force of the ECM63 - I heard this from the person's mouth, but other than the wattage consumption its impossible to get hard data as to how much water is really being moved.

There are a couple of things about the Flow Canon which are nicer than the ECM63 - 1) You don't need to buy a cage for the Abyzz. The ECM63 treats is like a fish grinder unless you have the basket. 2) With the magnet attachments the Abyzz uses 1 large magnet inside and out - the ECM uses 3 small magnets and they can fly around and pinch the crap out of you when mounting or moving the pump. I just bought an adapter that holds the 3 magnets for the external magnet in a fixed position which should resolve that issue, but I just picked it up yesterday and haven't actually put it on the tank.

Dave B

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 120x48x30 - I have both the Hydrowizard ECM63 and the Abyzz Flow Cannon AFC150 -

The Abyzz flow cannon on the long end of the tank will easily move all the water in the aquarium.

I use on flow canon just for a rocking wave flow in the tank, One to push the water clockwise and the Ecm63 to push the water counter clockwise.

With the Flow Canons for sure you won't need to have a close loop. The ECM63 flow seems to disperse sooner, and I don't have the same experience.

With the Abyzz on one of the tank - it shoots (with force) water all the way across the tank, around the 48" end and down the back of the tank. At 20' from the pump outlet, on the back wall of the tank, it will take the heads of Duncans and lay them flat out (pushed down from the force of the current). The ECM63 blows the Ducan tentacles but doesn't quite lay them down with as much force.

Someone did a study and determined that the Abyzz was using 2x the power of the ECM63 and figured it hits with close to 2x the force of the ECM63 - I heard this from the person's mouth, but other than the wattage consumption its impossible to get hard data as to how much water is really being moved.

There are a couple of things about the Flow Canon which are nicer than the ECM63 - 1) You don't need to buy a cage for the Abyzz. The ECM63 treats is like a fish grinder unless you have the basket. 2) With the magnet attachments the Abyzz uses 1 large magnet inside and out - the ECM uses 3 small magnets and they can fly around and pinch the crap out of you when mounting or moving the pump. I just bought an adapter that holds the 3 magnets for the external magnet in a fixed position which should resolve that issue, but I just picked it up yesterday and haven't actually put it on the tank.

Dave B
I appreciate the information. I have looked into the Abyzz flow cannon as well, with two drawbacks that are just personal preference. 1) I am not a huge fan of the titanium body (I know this will eventually be covered with coralline), nor the bright orange cord. 2) It looks much larger/ longer than the ECM63 and thus more likely to notice (both are large). I have no doubts that the performance of the Abyzz is top notch.

I do not mind the cage attachment on the ECM63, but I do mind my fish potentially being ground out! The magnets seem like a pain as well, but wouldn't be the first time my fingers have been smashed.

A couple questions from your personal experience-
1) Closed loops - yay or nay?
2) Which of the pumps has better controllability/ user interface
Thanks.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Abyzz has a better interface. With the Aybzz its much easier to get it to change modes - Pulse, Random, Flow - And configure the various modes. on the ECM63 I haven't figured out how to get the modes to change.

The Titanium is shiny, but within a week or so it was dulled with algae growth on it. Yes it's still more visible, but it depends how the pumps are being placed in relation to where you view the tank from. When you add the basket to the ECM63 it becomes a bigger pump than the Abyzz.

The orange cord is hideous. I bought some black silicone tubing off of Amazon for just a few bucks, slit the tubing with a razor blade and covered the orange cords - Was a 5min project (literally).

Pending how you imagine your aquascaping to be, If you have a straight shot across the front and back of the tank, than either Pump, used as a Pair, would allow you to skip the closed loops. They move so much more water and move it further than a closed loop would.

Dave B

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Abyzz has a better interface. With the Aybzz its much easier to get it to change modes - Pulse, Random, Flow - And configure the various modes. on the ECM63 I haven't figured out how to get the modes to change.

The Titanium is shiny, but within a week or so it was dulled with algae growth on it. Yes it's still more visible, but it depends how the pumps are being placed in relation to where you view the tank from. When you add the basket to the ECM63 it becomes a bigger pump than the Abyzz.

The orange cord is hideous. I bought some black silicone tubing off of Amazon for just a few bucks, slit the tubing with a razor blade and covered the orange cords - Was a 5min project (literally).

Pending how you imagine your aquascaping to be, If you have a straight shot across the front and back of the tank, than either Pump, used as a Pair, would allow you to skip the closed loops. They move so much more water and move it further than a closed loop would.

Dave B
The peninsula will have a black background on one end- why I am leaning towards the ECM63, so the black would blend it even though the pump is large (vortechs would be great but can't push water 12' unless some on the viewing end). The aquascape would be down the middle of the tank and one pump on each side. I was thinking of utilizing a closed loop to push water back towards the pumps on the overflow end, so that waterflow would not be coming from one side of the tank. It seems like either option eliminates that need as they are more than capable.
Thank you for the info.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designing two separate systems and trying to determine what wavemakers I should utilize. Also undecided on the size, but have certain dimensions I keep coming back to.
System 1
- 144" x 36" x 30" Peninsula
- Flow 1
- On overflow - 2 Hydrowizard ECM63
- In 6-10.5' lengths- Abyzz A200 Closed Loop with 3 outlets
OR
- Flow 2
- Overflow- 4 MP60
- End - 2 MP60
- In 6-10' lengths- Abyzz A200 Closed Loop with 3 outlets

System 2
- 96" x 36" x 30"
Flow 1
- 2 Hydrowizard ECM63- opposite sides
- 2 Returns
Flow 2
-
4 MP60 - 2 on each side
- 2 Returns
I had 72" long, 200 G with close loop few years ago. Started it before powerhead were advanced. Lot's of plumbing, pump expensive to run, had to put pump in a basement, because it was too noisy. It was some pond pump, do not remember the brand. Surprisingly flow was not as high as I expected, not to mention that controlling it was also not ideal. I understand that close loop may still have a place in larger tanks, but other options are there, they are easier to control and give you more random flow. Oh, I forgot one thing, although pump was external, it still created lots of heat, hence I had to install large chiller. When I switched to powerhead, chiller is still needed ( I live in Central Valley, CA), but it turns on much less frequently.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass_reef12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 72" long, 200 G with close loop few years ago. Started it before powerhead were advanced. Lot's of plumbing, pump expensive to run, had to put pump in a basement, because it was too noisy. It was some pond pump, do not remember the brand. Surprisingly flow was not as high as I expected, not to mention that controlling it was also not ideal. I understand that close loop may still have a place in larger tanks, but other options are there, they are easier to control and give you more random flow. Oh, I forgot one thing, although pump was external, it still created lots of heat, hence I had to install large chiller. When I switched to powerhead, chiller is still needed ( I live in Central Valley, CA), but it turns on much less frequently.
That is a good point you bring up of installing the chiller- definitely something I would like to avoid. Thanks.

Back