"Flow Zone Lair" Build (New Reefer)

queenoftheflowzonelair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow aquarists!

In September I purchased my first tank, 15gal, intended for clownfish. I purchased Aqueon's frameless aquarium, tested for leaks and originally set it up with Pacific Ocean Water. Using classic gravel and the QuietFlow20 I had initial issues with ammonia while I waited for my nano skimmer. In November I purchased Pongo, a bullethole clownfish, and he has been doing so well. He is now fully adjusted and has no problem telling me when he doesnt like something.

No air stones, wavemakers or crewmembers. I'm considering getting a wavemaker in a month or so to prep for adding an anemone. Still a few months until the tank will be ready for that though.

Products I used to start-up include Nite-Out, Trace Elements, Reef Buffer, and the API Saltwater master testing kit. I started using copepods and zooplankton weekly to maintain healthy and diverse bacteria in early November. Had to remove some seashells after the hardness was testing high, as well as some decor when I realized he was overcrowded.

Using distilled water I prep his water change about 3gal (10-20% each week) with Instant Ocean and Reef Buffer. I use a sweater bin thats BPA free with a QuietFlow10 and 15W flat heater to prep overnight under my sink.

After getting Pongo I started using Clarity about once/week, and bought some Stress Zyme more recently to replace the bacteria boost since Nite-out was getting pricey for such a small bottle. The fish pretty much only likes his pellet food or mysis shrimp. He wont touch algae sheets at all, but he does maintain the brown stuff that grows on his house.

OP
OP
queenoftheflowzonelair

queenoftheflowzonelair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures!
Sorry the water's a lil cloudy in that 2nd pic. It was the 2nd week I got him and his tank was still adjusting to the bioload.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20221228_132915_Photos.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221228_132915_Photos.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 21
  • SmartSelect_20221130_162337_Video Editor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20221130_162337_Video Editor.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
queenoftheflowzonelair

queenoftheflowzonelair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the one clownfish for now, maybe an anemone in a month or so. I'd love to get another bullet clown when we have the opportunity to get a new tank, so maybe the next apartment.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back