Flower Nems Carry Pests?

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks and I'm taking down my oldest tank after 3 years. It is a biocube and was my first reef, many mistakes made but it is time to move on. I have numerous flower anemones in it that I love. They are reproducing and there are colorful babies everywhere. I really don't want to get rid of them. My new main tank is pretty clean, no real nuisances after a year and a half. I'm going break down the biocube in the next week or two. I want to transfer my flower nems and the babies over. One big catch....The tank they are coming from has bubble algae and an aiptasia outbreak. I really don't want to transfer that over. I am not bringing any rock over, just the nems. Is this safe? Is there a safe way to transfer them? Can flower nems carry over spores or baby aiptasia somehow?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm moving 35+ RFAs from a 16g breeding tank (see below) to my 90g DT as I do a new rockscape. I have no concerns. But my RFAs (all in pvc end caps) will spend 2 or 3 days in a holding tank with no rock or sand before they get moved to the sand in the DT.

Maybe you should consider a holding tank and doing some close inspections?

20201031_135326 R1.jpg

OP
OP
Aquaman6410

Aquaman6410

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a set up cycled holding tank. Could something else work? Does it need to be cycled or just a bare tank with clean saltwater and aeration works? Or are the chances of them carrying anything really slim and I shouldn't worry?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back