Fluconazole and SPS

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I didn't read much negative about fluconazole before treating my tank with it but man my sps absolutely hated the stuff!!!!!!
All polyps retracted / dissapeared for weeks, colors paled to near bleached and lost a couple of small colonies. Sad face. I removed dying algae most nights by pinching off into a syphon hose through a sock in the sump to keep the treatment at full effect. Monitored nutrient levels closely and saw no spike at all.
Product was Bryopsis Buster (new name for old Reef Flux). I've been told that prescription or pure fluconazole would not have these bad effects and that it's likely some impurity in the product I used. I'm sure some of you have tried one or the other. Can you share your experience please?
PS. bryopsis is still here. agghhh.

OP
OP
F

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a heap of turbo snails and a few trochus plus three abalone in there chewing away at it and kind of keeping it in check. The abalone are awesome critters. Don't even see them through the day and they're out and about all night eating algae. Am thinking of trying the prescription fluconazole if anybody has had positive experience with it.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried it twice and both times it killed 90% of my SPS in less than a week. Nor did it kill the bryopsis/hair algae I was fighting. Its not like my algae was out of control either. Just was trying to keep things under control before it became a major problem. So no major nutrient spikes due to the die off of algae. Never again will I use it in a reef tank.

OP
OP
F

fishead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Highgrade. Thanks for that. Sorry it went so bad for you. Why do they promote this stuff as reef safe???
Did you use Reef flux or the pure fluconazole?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Highgrade. Thanks for that. Sorry it went so bad for you. Why do they promote this stuff as reef safe???
Did you use Reef flux or the pure fluconazole?
I tried both. Not sure why they would claim its reef safe. Maybe to some extent but not with SPS.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I used Reef Flux in an almost exclusively SPS system with zero coral loss. I didn’t notice any change in any of the corals in terms of polyp extension or color. It completely wiped out the hair algae. In my case it worked exactly as advertised and I was completely happy with the results. I followed the dosage recommendations to the letter. Out of curiosity, what size is your system?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange. I used Reef Flux in an almost exclusively SPS system with zero coral loss. I didn’t notice any change in any of the corals in terms of polyp extension or color. It completely wiped out the hair algae. In my case it worked exactly as advertised and I was completely happy with the results. I followed the dosage recommendations to the letter. Out of curiosity, what size is your system?
I followed the recommended dosage as well. It was on two different systems 40 gallon and a 150 gal system.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used Reef Flux numerous times and never had any negative reactor to my corals. I ran it for 24 hours with skimmer and Carbon off, 24 hours later, resumed skimmer and Carbon and did a 10% water change (planned the Reef Flux treatment around my water change). I got TURF from rock from a buddy that I missed, and some hair that was so bad 3 seahares wouldn't even think about eating (lazy hares).

Sorry you had such negative side effects with it.

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it twice in my 90 gallon SPS tank. First reef flux, then flux rx. Both were very brutal on my corals. I'll never use it again.

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting to say i am goung through a major color die off with reef flux right now. im trying to salvage some corals by putting in another tank but all psp and montis seem like total loss

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just two weeks ago I lost 2 large green slimer colonies and several SPS frags. Monti were totallly unaffected though. I used reef flux. Funny thing 2 other SPS frags were not affected as well.

adsf430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve used reef flux 4 times, kept the skimmer off for 2 weeks with no water changes to make sure it got the job done. No losses, no impact at all. My reef is super mixed with very sensitive acros know to die and they were totally fine ‍♂️. Did you dose based on you tanks gallons or actual gallons of water? If your tank is full of rock and coral and you did it based on your tanks size not actual water you may have overdosed? I also have tons of snails that were fine (have seen rumors it kills inverts which I’ve never noticed)

Do you monitor PH? If you had your skimmer off it’s possible low PH due to the skimmer being off could be the actual culprit

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used reef flux 4 times, kept the skimmer off for 2 weeks with no water changes to make sure it got the job done. No losses, no impact at all. My reef is super mixed with very sensitive acros know to die and they were totally fine ‍♂️. Did you dose based on you tanks gallons or actual gallons of water? If your tank is full of rock and coral and you did it based on your tanks size not actual water you may have overdosed? I also have tons of snails that were fine (have seen rumors it kills inverts which I’ve never noticed)

Do you monitor PH? If you had your skimmer off it’s possible low PH due to the skimmer being off could be the actual culprit
That's what I was thinking..perhaps? Or maybe nutrients locked in dying algae released and in combo with no skimmer makes for a phosphate bomb? We both have some sensitive higher end sticks and mine have been fine as well. No PE or color loss during treatment.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back