Fluke help

Roloilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help! restarted my reef tank about two months ago. Tank is fully cycled and I wanted to do everything right this time. I set up a quarantine tank and put a pair of Clownfish in with Coper Power at 2.5 for 33 days. I was going to follow-up with Prazipro but after the 33 days everything looked fine so I elected to introduce them to the DT. While the clowns were in the quarantine tank they always stayed at the surface. I though this was due to lack of hiding places. After I introduced them to the DT they continued to stay on the water surface, they eat good but do not swim in the rest of the tank. Right now the only thing in the tank are the 2 clowns and no other corals or Invertebrates. Should I treat the whole tank with Prazipro just in case they have it? I tried to get them out to do a fresh water dip but could not catch them, too much rock work. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help! restarted my reef tank about two months ago. Tank is fully cycled and I wanted to do everything right this time. I set up a quarantine tank and put a pair of Clownfish in with Coper Power at 2.5 for 33 days. I was going to follow-up with Prazipro but after the 33 days everything looked fine so I elected to introduce them to the DT. While the clowns were in the quarantine tank they always stayed at the surface. I though this was due to lack of hiding places. After I introduced them to the DT they continued to stay on the water surface, they eat good but do not swim in the rest of the tank. Right now the only thing in the tank are the 2 clowns and no other corals or Invertebrates. Should I treat the whole tank with Prazipro just in case they have it? I tried to get them out to do a fresh water dip but could not catch them, too much rock work. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Swimming at the surface isn’t really a symptom of flukes in marine fish (it can be in freshwater ones).
Clownfish have some of behaviors, so swimming at the surface, by itself isn’t too alarming
Do the two clowns swim together much of the time?
Can you post a short video?

Jay

OP
OP
R

Roloilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swimming at the surface isn’t really a symptom of flukes in marine fish (it can be in freshwater ones).
Clownfish have some of behaviors, so swimming at the surface, by itself isn’t too alarming
Do the two clowns swim together much of the time?
Can you post a short video?

Jay
This is what they do all day everyday. No other fish in tank.

Attachments

• 20220809_205505.mp4
    14.4 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what they do all day everyday. No other fish in tank.

That looks perfectly normal to me - they are paired up very well. I once added a pair of clownfish to a 90,000 gallon fish exhibit at a public aquarium. They lived at the surface, against a bare tank wall, because that was the safest, most secure place for them to be. Are you thinking of getting a bubble tip anemone? My guess would be if you did that, they would soon go to it and take up residence there.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Roloilly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks perfectly normal to me - they are paired up very well. I once added a pair of clownfish to a 90,000 gallon fish exhibit at a public aquarium. They lived at the surface, against a bare tank wall, because that was the safest, most secure place for them to be. Are you thinking of getting a bubble tip anemone? My guess would be if you did that, they would soon go to it and take up residence there.

Jay
I wanted to but I would like to have a mixed reef tank and was told to stay away from anemone because they will wreck havoc in a reef tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to but I would like to have a mixed reef tank and was told to stay away from anemone because they will wreck havoc in a reef tank.
Well, you might ask for different opinions on the reef forum here. A small bubbletip wouldn't be a huge issue. One thing that people do see is to have the anemone travel around the tank - you need to watch for that and take care that it doesn't get caught in a pump.

Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eh I have probably 20 something right now in mixed reef :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back