FLUKES + In-laws + new fish *PICS*

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ladies and gents, I have a doozy for ya. While feeding my fish tonight, I noticed my new (3wks) Pyramid Butterfly eating well but with multiple bumps on him. I usually sit slightly below the the surface and look up as I reach the baster over the tank to feed. Clearly visible were oval like bumps all over him/her. I had noticed a loss of color around his/her "face."

Quick search led me to flukes, and another quick search led me to a the general fluke guideline thread here on R2R. PraziPro sure sounds great don't have any on hand. Next suggestion, FW dip to diagnose. Ok cool that I can do. So warmed/aerated water, caught the fish easy. In it went for 5mins, and GOOD LORD, the amount of oval like worms that came off the poor fish! (See pics below)
I cant imagine, how much better it's feeling now, they must've engulfed every square inch.

He's back in the tank and swimming fine now, but hang on, this is where it gets interesting...

I don't have a QT set up (I know, I know). He was the second to the last two fish that will be added to the tank to complete my stocking. The problem is that now I have a fluke issue, and the final two fish are arriving via LA on Tuesday (the holiday delayed shipping)!!!

Oh and then I have to fly to Houston this coming Thursday to spend the weekend with my In-Laws... I wont be back home til late Sunday evening.

WHAT DO I DO?!

My thoughts:
-Pick up prazipro tomorrow and dose the DT
- Wait til the very last second before I leave for the airport on Thursday and do a large water change.
- Ask the almighty to forgive me of my sins

My concerns:
- Dosing PraziPro into a mixed reef
- The health of my Radiance and Melanarus Wrasses (Prazi Sensitivity)
- The health of the rest of my fish (2 picasso's, 1 anthias)
- What to do with the two new fish (Yellow Tang, Red head Solon Fairy Wrasse)

I do have a tank sitter coming to feed the tank while I'm away but there is no way I would put anything outside of that on his shoulders.

Any insight or direction would be HUGE.

*** For those expecting pictures of my In-laws, you're not missing out, and out of luck***

0A342356-A2ED-42DF-8432-5FB2A893BFDF.JPG

0EA2BF53-39CC-43FF-AD32-9D8456FDA33E.JPG

37AF5E13-BADE-41E1-939B-44CD65F9BF3A.JPG

293A3B20-9577-4D93-AAF5-699649D7A378.JPG

POST DIP - This side was completely covered in "bumps" before!

9517EC90-143E-4483-B338-3831B78335AD.JPG

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PraziPro is perfectly fine in a mixed reef as I have used it with great results and a water change together should turn things around.

OP
OP
TheDashCave

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must’ve been suffering for a while. Didn’t know flukes would kill so fast. Going to try to find prazi locally tomorrow. Dose the tank. Add the new fish as I would on Tuesday and do a large water change before I leave.

OP
OP
TheDashCave

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro dosed into the reef last night per instructions on the bottle. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
TheDashCave

TheDashCave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hate that there was a casualty but hopefully that's the end of them.

Left the skimmer on with no cup. Going to let things ride for the next few days. Prep water on wednesday night, do a large water change and add carbon before I leave.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosed a DT with prozi with Mel wrasse no issue at all. Wrasses are sensitive be careful and dont over dose.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Hate that there was a casualty but hopefully that's the end of them.

Left the skimmer on with no cup. Going to let things ride for the next few days. Prep water on wednesday night, do a large water change and add carbon before I leave.
Sorry for your loss. Don't forget to do a second round of prazi after 7 to 10 days and a freshwater dip on one of the fish after another 7 to 10 days would be a good idea to make sure you aren't dealing with Prazi resistant flukes and they're gone

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back