Flukes maybe

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Besides scratching what are some other effects of flukes? I think my yellow coris wrasse has them. I’m getting ready for a fresh water dip. Then Medicate. But will it just be the bath to see if flukes fall off to confirm the diagnosis? My plan is to qt with 2 doses of prazjpro. That seems to be what to do. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Besides scratching what are some other effects of flukes? I think my yellow coris wrasse has them. I’m getting ready for a fresh water dip. Then Medicate. But will it just be the bath to see if flukes fall off to confirm the diagnosis? My plan is to qt with 2 doses of prazjpro. That seems to be what to do. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Scratching is the most common symptom of flukes. In some other cases, you will see tattered fins, cloudy eyes and general "poor" look. Only one species of fluke, Neobenedenia, can be diagnosed from a freshwater dip, the others (skin and gill flukes) are a lot smaller and require a microscope to see in the dip water.

Prazipro is pretty safe to use, just increase the aeration to the tank when dosing it.

Jay

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. Will a freshwater dip provide some initial relief? She is constantly riding the glass. Really heavy scratching on rocks. Think she’s scraped some scales off or something. So I’m thinking flukes. For the fw dip I just get rodi up to temp and drop her in for 5 mins? Then back right away into the tank? Never had to do this before. So I’m nervous. Hope I can catch her

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks. Will a freshwater dip provide some initial relief? She is constantly riding the glass. Really heavy scratching on rocks. Think she’s scraped some scales off or something. So I’m thinking flukes. For the fw dip I just get rodi up to temp and drop her in for 5 mins? Then back right away into the tank? Never had to do this before. So I’m nervous. Hope I can catch her
So - here is the issue: if the fish has a really heavy fluke infestation, you give it a dip and all of the flukes drop off, leaving holes in the fish’s skin. Too many of these and the fish will bleed to death. There really isn’t a work around for this - darned if you do and darned if you don’t….
Yes - just give the fish a 5 minute dip in RODI or dechlorinated tap water the same temperature as the tank. Be sure it can’t jump out. After putting the fish back in the tank, look closely at the bottom of the container for little gray ovals - those are a species of fluke. Other flukes are too small to see without a microscope.
Catching the fish can be a real trick - take care not to damage it by chasing it around too much.
Jay

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much jay. I’ve tried to get her out unsuccessfully. Gonna probably need to make a trap. I can’t get close to any of them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much jay. I’ve tried to get her out unsuccessfully. Gonna probably need to make a trap. I can’t get close to any of them.
You could try netting it after lights out. Another trick is to stand the net up and try to chase the fish into it.
Another option is to skip the dip and just dose the tank with Prazipro….

Jay

OP
OP
fachatga

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had somebody to help me do a chase. I’ll try again. It’s a Halichoeres wrasse that is gonna go in the sand in an hour and don’t wanna dig her up.
Can I dose the display with prazipro?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had somebody to help me do a chase. I’ll try again. It’s a Halichoeres wrasse that is gonna go in the sand in an hour and don’t wanna dig her up.
Can I dose the display with prazipro?
Yes - Prazipro is safe for all fish and most inverts tolerate it well. Just remove carbon and your skimmer cup, and increase the aeration. You dose it twice, 7 to 10 days apart.
Jay

edavis402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this turn out? Seems like I am
About to tackle the same issue with a carpenter wrasse

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back